1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI diagnostics card Error Code 60 - What does it mean?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chezzam, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chezzam

chezzam Thread Starter

I am working on an HP Pavilion P6130A with 2Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD and running Vista Home Premium.

The system was turned on but plugged into a surge protector. During a severe thunderstorm a loud 'pop' was heard from the system and it totally died. Now it won't boot up. Power supply and fans are functioning but no video output.

I've inserted a hardware PCI diagnostics card which comes back with an error Code 60. Under the Award column the description of the error is "Setup virus protection [boot sector protection] functionality according to setup setting."

Can someone please tell me what this error code means and what, if anything I can do to fix it?

:)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not sure on the code but those cards can be next to useless. But if the system was hit during a thunderstorm then you should do a visible inspection of the motherboard for blown components. Then start by swapping in a known good power supply first if nothing is seen. Next would be to remove any network card or modem if they are removal cards. Also I assume you've disconnected all USB devices as well.

You have to consider how the system would have been come into contact with the lightning strike or power surge, the obvious ways would be the power supply, a network cable through a network device that plugs into power and a phone or cable line, or a phone line connected to a modem, or a USB cable that connects to a device that plugs into power.

You can check to see if any of the devices that were connected to the system are damage as well.

3. chezzam

chezzam Thread Starter

Update:

Have changed PSU, RAM and video card but still no change.

Reset CMOS and now the error code is C1 - "OEM specific - test to size on-board memory."

Motherboard appears to be fine - nothing obviously blown. (I've seen a lot of blown mbs that look ok tho!). As above, have swapped PSU with a new one and graphics card & RAM with used but good replacements. No USB devices plugged in. As far as how the system came into contact with the lightening strike/surge, I understand it was plugged into a powerboard with surge protector on it. No home network but they also have an ADSL modem which would have been plugged in and in use so it's possible that was the point of contact - I haven't tested it (haven't got it!) but it's a strong contender I would imagine.

Am currently testing HDD, RAM and graphics card in another system to see what else may be damaged.

Does the C1 error help any further? Sounds like mbs stuffed to me! Am I right?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Possibly. Consider how the memory would be fried by a lightning strike? It can't without that surge going through at least another component, such as the motherboard if it has an an integrated NIC and it came through the internet connection, or through the power supply AND motherboard if it came through electrical wires.

Have you tried the most obvious part? The power supply?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice