1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pci dvr card slot problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by agayfer, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. agayfer

agayfer Thread Starter

I have a pci 4ch dvr card that apparently needs to be in slot 3 for the software to work..problem is the replacement pc has only 2 slots....is it at all possible to change the slot id's to make it look like its in slot 3

2. draceplace

draceplace

Welcome to TSG! Hope you have some happy computing in the future!

You question lacks a lot of detail for an accurate solution...but anyway...

Perhaps there is an ini file that tells the software to look in slot 3? Change it to slot 2...Just a WAG...also I can't believe someone would manufactor a slot specific pci software/hardware...

3. agayfer

agayfer Thread Starter

sorry no ini file... the system is designed for expansion up to 16 cameras..1-4 slot3....5-8 slot2...9-12 slot1...13-16 slot4...but because it cant see the first card in slot3 the software wont start....i just wondered if it would be possible to reassign the slots

4. draceplace

draceplace

Can you install cameras 5-8?

5. agayfer

agayfer Thread Starter

no because it cant start without 1-4 which is the first card it looks for

6. draceplace

draceplace

Mmm wonder if you can make a virtual pci slot 3 that looks like its there but does nothing? I'll check back tomorrow, this is interesting...

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you contact the company that makes the card? Either they'll have a workaround available or they'll tell you that you need a different computer.

8. Compiler

Compiler

Not very smart of the company to use such a "requirement" - since most moden PCs have 2 PCI slots. Most Full size ATX boards do have 3 PCI slots... You can return the computer due to this incompatiblity. But this is really more of stupidity on the DVR manufacture than you or the computer.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Such hardware limitations are actually quite common. I once worked with a vendor that only made ISA expansion cards long after computers stopped shipping with ISA slots. Specialized equipment is very expensive to develop and manufacture as well as for customers to purchase.

10. Compiler

Compiler

I understand that... I know how it is "in the old days" - but with modern computers, there isn't a need to be specific with the slots. Especially with PNP. But PCs weren't made with PnP originally, unlike Mac and Amigas. So with PCs, it has been a bit of a sloppy mess until PCI / Windows95.

11. agayfer

agayfer Thread Starter

the cards not marked,so cant contact manufacturer. am sort of in contact with supplier (their in china and pidgeon english) one email per day (slow going)..i beleive its a software rquirement for the card to be in a certain slot (3)..but it looks like i will have to scrap this mother board ,proc, memory and go for a board with 3 slots..i know its a bit drastic scrapping all the parts but the chances of finding a suitable board that is compatable is pretty slim and/or expensive

12. Compiler

Compiler

The card requires software to operate - so that should have contact info.

Why would you have to scrap everything? You built a new computer? If you have to have a new board, buy a new board. The CPU and memory, etc still fits. There is nothing difficult in locating a 3-4 PCI slolt board either. For most people, its not needed and many boards have many PCIe slots.

Here is a list of boards with 3 or more PCI slots, choose Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS and Biostar (in that order)
    AMD x3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=RATING

Intel x3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Intel x4: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

So for $75~150, replace the board... get a refund on your current board or resell it.

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The "old days"?? Sounds like the poster is having a problem in the here and now. Whether or not you think such hardware limitations are needed or ridiculous, they do in fact exist, and people and IT departments have to work within those limitations.

Today's IT budgets are especially tight. There's incredible pressure to keep old hardware and software running rather than spend any money upgrading. That's the difference between classroom learning and real-life experience.

14. Compiler

Compiler

I mean "old days" of idiotic PC designs. If the manufacture had common sense, they wouldn't have designed it so badly to begin with. Its understandable that the software maynot understand how to assign camera # to multi-card installations, but there are easier ways to assign card ID. 3 PCI slots is common for the past 3 years, but nowadays thats about 2.

How they could have design thier card:
    1 - Assign slot 1 for card #1. Slot 1 = 1~4, Slot 2 = 5~8, etc. But the idiots went in this order : 3, 2, 1, 4. Huh? They are all over the place.

2 - Install a dipswitch (2~4 switches) to select a card ID. A $.05 part.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/828709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice