1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI-E x16 in PCI-E x4 slot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nester, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nester

Nester Thread Starter

Hello

I have a quick question regarding being able to insert a PCI-E x16 in a PCI-E x4 slot - is this possible? Would it act like the way USB x2 works in the way of backwards compatibility?

The reason I ask is I want to get another card along with my current one which is PCI-E x16 and I only have a spare PCI-E x4 slot available, this is so I can use x3 monitors for a multi setup.

Nester

2. Sponsor

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

I do not believe that card with a PCI-Ex16 interface will fit in a smaller PCI-Ex4 connector.

Attached Files:

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

5. Nester

Nester Thread Starter

The slot looks long with a clip at the end and says PCI-E x4 on the board next to it - I could try taking my current card from the x16 slot just to test.

I would take a photo of the slot however my brother borrowed my camera the other day, typical also my phone camera sucks.

This is the card I am looking at - it's nowt special but is only to enable a third monitor and looks quite slim which is good as I have a sound card which would be next to it. The card looks like it would fit in the slot though.

Link:
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...ia8000series/novatech/8400gs256mbpci-elp.html

6. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

7. Nester

Nester Thread Starter

Thank you for that I am going to look into it a bit more although it's getting a little out of my budget range.

8. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Do you know the model number of your motherboard?

9. Nester

Nester Thread Starter

10. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Ok,looks like the second slot is a full size slot that runs at 4X.
    You should be fine running that 8400.
    That card has a double width cooler on it,so if you can't move
    your sound card over one slot,you would want to look for a single
    width card.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/995242