1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI Ethernet Controller - DRIVER

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyrmme, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wyrmme

wyrmme Thread Starter

Okay, so I found this computer for five dollars. Good condition.

It's as

Computer:
    AuthenticAMD

AMD Anthlon(tm)XP 1600+

248.0MB RAM

Well, I installed 98 on it.

I tried to hook up the internet and it didn't work. I Called my ISP and he said, that it was because my Ethernet Controller didn't have the proper drivers. I have no compnay name or anything to help me find it... I just know it says AMD on the front. And SUPER COMPUTER. Both put on by the manufacturer.

I need help finding the driver so that I can put it on CD and put it on the PC.

I HAVE NO internet access on that computer.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try PCWizard[​IMG]. It might be able to identify the card. You are connected by DSL or some other method that requires a network card I assume?

Is there a card in Device Manager or at least an unknown piece of hardware? If not, and there is a card present, you may need to enable it in BIOS.

3. wyrmme

wyrmme Thread Starter

I'm on cable and have no idea.... I don't think I need a card.. I need a DRIVER for my ethernet controller/

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's what I meant---your ethernet card that has the connection to the cable modem in it. It may be built into the board, but it still functions like a separate card.

Is that what you have, a connector like a phone jack only larger?

If so, then we need to identify it, card or built-in. The PCWizard may be able to do it, or details on the make/model of computer will allow us to find the information if the "card" is built-in. Either way, the Wizard or some other system information utility will help.

5. wyrmme

wyrmme Thread Starter

Network Card : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS900 10/100 Ethernet Adapter

That's what it says.. I really need the driver so I can USE internet on the other computer. It's the ETHERNET plug itself. It has nothing to do with the company I think. But thee internal plug itself. However, you're smarter than I most likely. Hehehe.

6. wyrmme

wyrmme Thread Starter

Basically sir, I know that the ethernet card thing that the ISP gave me might need software. However, on all my my other computers it doesn't.

So what I exactly mean is. The jack where the ethernet cord goes into my computer. From the modem. Well, the computer doesn't recognize THAT is there...

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

8. wyrmme

wyrmme Thread Starter

Thank you. Before I burn this file to a CD. Will I need a driver for it to work with my router???

If not, I will message you back on the PC if it works.

If I do. What information do I need?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

That driver should be all you need. Once that LAN-card driver is installed, the connection to the router is through networking protocols and no longer drivers. Good luck.

10. wyrmme

wyrmme Thread Starter

Okay, so this seems to not be working. I'm not on the NEW PC.

So I installed the driver or w/e, restarted, and nothing else happened. I tried manually installing it but nothing worked.

Step-by step help maybe? Please and thanks.

Let me also add I have something called a

PCI COMMUNICATIONS DEVICE

error thing too, under the Other Devices thing. Right under the ethernet pci problem, and right above the Sound Card probelm. But the sound card thing I don't care about.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

That other could be a modem. Do you have a modem jack?

What is your uninstalled network connector called in Device Manager?

12. wyrmme

wyrmme Thread Starter

There isn't one. The problem was the PCI ETHERNET CONTROLLER.

It's my modem jack I need set up. The ethernet cord that comes FROM The modem, into the computer. Kind of like a bigger version of a phone-cord.

I need THAT to work. :[

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

The modem inside your computer is what connects to the phone line and has a phone jack on it. If you have no phone modem in that machine, then the unknown device may have something to do with the sound system. The network card is what connects to your broadband modem external to the machine and has the larger connector on it.

In Device Manager, is the PCI Ethernet Controller listed? If so, does it have a yellow or red marking and what do its properties say?

Did you try running the setup.exe program inside that unzipped folder you downloaded?

14. wyrmme

wyrmme Thread Starter

Okay, so it's Yellow. And the properties say.. nothing at-all reallly. It just says that the driver couldn't be found.. Or something... I'll switch the pc's again to check though

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. You can try a couple things. Either try installing the driver by unzipping that zip file and running the setup program inside it, or, if that doesn't seem to work, then right-click the controller in Device Manager and choose Properties, Update or Install, or Reinstall (whatever the option is) the driver, and then make all the manual choices, eventually directing it to look in the Win98 folder inside the unzipped folder you downloaded. It will be looking for the .inf file that that folder contains.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/561793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice