1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI Express vs AGP?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jbray, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jbray

Jbray Thread Starter

I just want someones opinion about the differences between the two. I am currently running an ASUS P4PE mobo socket 478 with only 4x capability but have the AGP BFG 6800 GS OC Nividia. I am wanting to upgrade but really need to know the difference of quality, if any. I was lookinng at the ASUS P4800 E Deluxe or go to one with PCI Express and socket 775. Any help would be appreciated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

PCI-X is the new standard, and all the new video cards will be supporting that in the future. I'd go that way if I were buying a new system. My new ABIT Fatal1ty MB has PCI-X slots.

3. Jbray

Jbray Thread Starter

Thanks,
    Then this set up I am looking at should fill what I need:
    ASUS P5AD2 Deluxe - Socket 775 DDR2 533 - PCI Espress
    Intel P4 3.4 Ghz
    2 gb Ram.
    Everything else I have and ready to build. I wasn't sure about the PCI -X.

4. norton850

norton850

Agree if you are upgrading then a PCI-X board is what you want. Just remember your AGP video card won't work with the new board so add a new card in with your upgrade costs.

5. Jbray

Jbray Thread Starter

Yeah, I thought of that and that is after just getting that 6800 GS but it sounds like it will be worth it in the long run.

6. Jbray

Jbray Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you. Going to hit the local computer store today for the upgrades. When done it will be this set up.

Antec black 1050 case with 500w PS
    4 smart cool fans
    3.4 ghz Intel CPU Socket 775
    The ASUS P5AD2 - deluxe
    2GB Ram
    Asus - CD/DVD Rom
    Plextor PX-740A DVD R/RW
    Creative Labs - Audugy 2 ZS X-Gamer
    160 GB WD Hard Drive.
    And some type PCI-X video card ( not sure which one yet)

7. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

sounds good and all, but you should really check out www.newegg.com for all you PC buying woes, it'll save you some bank, and you can be more picky with what you buy.

8. Jbray

Jbray Thread Starter

Thanks,
    Newegg is exactly were I am getting the items I don't have. Prices and delivery cannot be beat. Now that I know the way to go is the newer PCI Express boards.

9. sn1p34

sn1p34

In one of my magazines, they did some testing with agp and pci express, on diffrent games, on the highest settings for example the x850 xt pci-e and the x850 xt agp, and other cards as well, they noticed slim to none diffrences, such as one game pci-express card had 1 fps more then the agp :\ so it rly isn't much faster.

10. Jbray

Jbray Thread Starter

Thanks all for the info. It is much appreciated!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!