1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI Fan to cool Gpu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lilb, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I run a gts 250 from BFG, it runs great and gets a good idle temperature 33C but when i play crysis it sometimes overheats and artifacts even on stock clock settings, max temp 78C, (i took the temperatures with hardware monitor) and i was looking at pci fans because i thought that maybe putting a pci fan in the pci slot closest to my graphics card might help it cool better what is your oppinion on this?

here are some links to the pci fans i've been looking at if you have any recomendations please feel free to tell me by the way noise is not an issue my loudest fan in my case is about 38 Dba. so anything under that is fine.

pci fan 1 : http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

pci fan 2 : http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=39598&csid=_21

pci fan 3 : http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3127373&csid=_21

Any help would be appreciated thanks :)

P.S My case can't support anymore case fans it actually only fits one 6cm case fan the rest of them listed in my profile are either added through case modding or "redneck-rigging". But i have 2 free pci slots so thats my only option.

2. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

bump.
    Could really use some input here guys. Thanks.

3. BruinBeer

BruinBeer

Which of the fans listed in your specs is intakes and which is exhausts?

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

It sounds as if you need to be looking for a chassis with better thermal design.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

After looking a photos of your card I think the problem is the card thermal design. BFG covered the card with a cool looking enclosure, and it has what looks like an 80 mm fan (which is close to one end, not directly over the GPU). The vent holes on the back of the card are roughly equivalent to a 1 square inch cutout, far smaller than the fan that is blowing or sucking air through them.

If it was my card (and is no longer covered by warranty) I would ditch the enclosure, and replace whatever heatsink is on the GPU with a combination heatsink and fan.

6. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

2x 60mm are exhaust the 120mm is on the side panel and its intake, i have one 80mm which is also intake up front (below the hardrive bays) right now the stealth fan is not in there but usualy its right below the graphics card.

7. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

I noticed the same thing you did the only thing that i find weird is how does it get a 30C idle?

8. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

One other thing guys most computer guys in the computer store i go to have said pci fans are generally crap, which i can see because they dont get alot of airflow and most of them look flimsy but its really my only option, because as i said i dont have any room for even the smallest case fan but i have 2 free pci slots. @Frank4d i will replace the fan on last resort only because in other games it never goes above 60C just crysis really heats it up, so right now I'am trying to increase my overall case airflow, I guess i could replace some of my fans with noisier higher cfm fans but im not sure how much that would do either. But what would you guys think if i got a vantec dual fan and a masscool exhaust fan? or would they "fight" eachother?

9. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

The only way to cool a case and computer components effectively is to remove hot air. Intake fans are useless for this. In fact, in worst case scenarios intake fans, particularly if their airflow overbalances your exhaust fans, may cause eddies in the airflow and thus hotspots in case. Which means some components may actually get hotter after adding intake fans.

2 60mm exhaust fans, unless they are very high CFM (and very noisy) just won't move much air out of the case. But, it's possible that just disconnecting that 120mm intake fan could reduce the temperature of your graphics card. Frankly, if I were you, I'd quick trying to Aggie Engineer a case that obviously has crappy thermal design and take win2kpro's advice and consider a new case. Plenty out there around $50.

10. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

well before i cut hole in the side panel and added the 120mm intake fan the graphics idle was about 38-40C now its a little lower, also i think the overheating may be a driver related issue because it never happened before,

11. Koot

Koot

I'm guessing he has an 80mm PSU fan that is also extracting air from within the case unless he has a fanless PSU.

There's one good thing about small (40mm & 60mm) fans - they can be put very close to the heat source. Larger fans that are put too close to the heat source do not function well because when they're put to close the output airflow is blocked and the CFM is reduced - sometimes down to practically no CFM.

12. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

My psu has 2 fans one 96mm (or 120mm not sure) intake (into the psu) and one 60mm exhaust.

13. Koot

Koot

So...you have one (1) 120mm side panel fan and one (1) 80mm front fan that are both intake fans. Do you have two or three 60mm exhaust fans? Do the two 60mm exhaust fans you mentioned in an earlier post include the 60mm exhaust fan on the PSU?

Does your graphics card, which appears to be the problem, have a small heat sink and fan? How about the CPU - does it have a small heat sink and fan? The North Bridge chip?

14. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

no it doesn't include the psu fan, i have 3 60mm exhaust fans including the psu one.

15. Koot

Koot

You would be better off with a new case, but if you aren't interested in doing that I would add a small 60mm fan that is pointed at the graphics card. Certainly you can find a way to hang/mount a small 60mm fan about 3" to 5" away from the problematic (graphics card) heat source. Usually you can use ty-raps, double-face tape, etc., or even use one ear of another fan ... or use your existing cabling as a hanging/mounting point. Doing that may help disperse the heat from the graphics card that is causing you a problem by putting some fresh air on it. "If" you really have adequate fresh air coming into the case... Something I question........

But, that still doesn't answer your system heat of 78'C under load. It's hard say what the real problem is without seeing it in person. You may have an air-lock situation where there is not enough positive pressure and the hot air is just circulating inside the case. Is there a decent amount of airflow from the three 60mm exhaust fans ... or is the airflow weak and almost non-existent? Pumping air from a 120mm side fan, plus an 80mm front fan, should produce a goodly amount of air out the three 60mm exhaust fans, which should keep the system temperature much less than 78'C under a heavy load. Does it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice