1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kimusabi_1, Mar 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kimusabi_1

kimusabi_1 Thread Starter

Does anyone know where I could locate an ATI Radeon gpu between 9500-9700 thats PCI?

2. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7

I do not think they make a PCI version after the 9200. Atleast not that I can find.

3. McTimson

McTimson

The question is, why would you want one?

At PCI bus speeds, the abilities of the Radeon 9500-9700 would be useless....PCI video cards can not perform well in modern games, there's just not enough bandwidth on the PCI bus to handle the massive amount of graphics....you're better off getting a new motherboard with an AGP slot, and a $100-$150 AGP card, it will perform much better than any PCI card would.

4. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7

Remember McTimson, some people are 14 years old and without jobs. PCI can handle some games if it has a fast processor.

5. McTimson

McTimson

No, they really can't. I've tried it before, and most games just won't work with them. Sure, there are some exceptions, but new games will not work well, at least nowhere close to the capabilities of an AGP card.

And if this person is looking to buy a Radeon 9700, I'm assuming they have a reasonable amount of money to waste...

6. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7

9700 PCI would be alot cheaper than 9700 AGP

7. McTimson

McTimson

Actually, PCI cards are generally more expensive than their AGP counterparts.

8. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7

ah, you got me here. You're right. All the AGP parts must be made in china ;) lol

9. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Really !!!!! That would be like buying a Corvette, and putting a Volkswagen engine in it :D

10. kimusabi_1

kimusabi_1 Thread Starter

Well the PC is a Dell with no AGP slots, only PCI.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    But I bet the Dell was a great bargain...now you know why.

PCI graphics are a waste of money. As mentioned, get a new motherbaord with AGP and then you can a decent video card and hopefully your Dell powersupply has enough power to run it.

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Hmmm, a hammer and an agp card?
    Everybody is right, pci graphics stink. If you think you can tackle putting in another motherboard it would be better. The downfall will be your restores won't work anymore and you'll need a windows disk.

13. cnimbus

cnimbus Banned

A LOT more expensive, and generally very difficult or impossible to find. A system which was made prior to the introduction of AGP will also be very slow by today's standards. Most of the more recent games would be virtually unplayable on such a system.

Kimusabi, you would be better off upgrading your system. If cost is a concern, a low-end Asus motherboard, an Athlon XP 2500+ (or thereabouts), 256 MB RAM, an ATI 9200 or Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 and an upgraded power supply should be around $300. That might do the trick without breaking the bank. By comparison, a Radeon 9600 AGP card is about $175.

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

+ windows disk. I doubt he has one since he has a Dell. My copy of Pro was almost $200.00 but I bought it off the shelf. Those Dell restore disks are not going to work once the accompanying bios disappears from the system.

15. Di3t_C0ke

Di3t_C0ke Banned

He Could Run Linux! ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/215993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice