1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pci or onboard video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bonesaw2009, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bonesaw2009

bonesaw2009 Thread Starter

i have a intel(R) extreme graphics 64mb ram onboard i want a new vid card but have only pci slots.I want to know should i just get a pci vid card or just kep my onboard one?
    i want to play world of warcraft witch is why im looking.

2. bigbear

bigbear

You will be able to install a higher MB pci graphics card and you will get some improvement but don't expect any miracles as this is old technogy now.
    Just noticed you have Intel extreme graphics and I am not sure if you will gain much at all.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If its the Intel Extreme Graphics then would notice a significant difference if you bought a PCI FX5200/5500 or a Radeon 9250 128MB or 256MB card. The latest Intel GMA 950 grpahics would be better then most cards but the older Intel Extreme branded chips suck tremendously.

Here's the requirments for WoW: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html
    The Intel Extreme chips do not support T&L or Directx 9.0(in hardware), which the FX series cards do.

4. bonesaw2009

so if i get the PCI FX5200/5500 it will run better then my 64 mb onboard vid card?
    i also play cs and wc3 will it effect them as well?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup, most games should run much better or at a better quality.. But it still won't be what most gamers would consider acceptable. But unfortunately there isn't too much you can really do short of buying a new motherboard and an AGP or PCI-Express video card.

6. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

hold your horses everyone. Just PCI? No PCIe or PCI express? If you're talking regular PCI, I'm not so sure you're going to see that big of a difference. At least not worth the money of buying a new card.

7. bonesaw2009

if i bought a new motherboard will everything still work?will it mess with my HD's c,f,and hp recovry D?

8. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

You will not be able to use the disks with your machine. you would have to get a new version of windows.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  10. Jones

Jones

I can shed a bit more educated light on this, since I was in the exact same predicament not that long ago. My motherboard also has on-board Intel graphics (which sucks) and only PCI slots. (Yes, PCI, not PCI-E) I have used a few different cards in my search for a PCI solution that actually makes a difference. The Radeon 9200 series cards blow. Don't waste your time with those. But the nVidia cards are a great little performance boost and won't kill your wallet.

My conclusion: as suggested by Triple6 in an earlier post, the FX 5200 or 5500 cards make a world of difference. I have a 5200 256 MB pci card that I use successfully to play alot of games at settings that are 'acceptable' to me. Self-proclaimed 'gamers' would laugh out loud at my archaic setup, but for what I can afford, it works great. I can play Medal of Honor Allied Assault and it's two expansion packs at 1024x768 at the highest graphics settings. Call of Duty and United Offensive are no problem as well. I can even play Star Wars: Battlefront II at medium settings, and that game just came out last year. Another bonus, these cards are very inexpensive. You can probably get one for about $50 or $60.

Trust me, you WILL notice a nice difference in your game experiences by going to one of these cards instead of your onboard video.

11. Darth_Denz

Darth_Denz

you'll have to reformat your hard drive & reinstall windows if you buy a new mother board...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/444745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice