1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pci Parallel Card Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by retired96, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. retired96

retired96 Thread Starter

I have a new Dell Desktop with only USB ports. I have a 4 year old OKIPAGE 6W which is a parallel port printer. I installed a PCI Parallel Card and that's as far as I could get. The computer recognizes something is in the Parallel Port but, what it is is a question mark in device manager. I tried 80 different ways to install the drivers. I used the install disk I originally got. I installed the updated drivers from the oki site. The printer's icon is in the PRINTERS AND FAXES window. The new drivers are in the computer. I followed the Add Hardware Wizard. The printer will not print. "Drivers for this device are not installed. (code 28)." Was the only error message I received. Any suggestions?

George

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to install the drivers for the parallel port card, they're different from the printer drivers.

3. retired96

retired96 Thread Starter

Installed drivers (thank you) but, I keep getting this message, "The parallel port driver has not been installed. Run the Printer Driver setup.exe on the setup disk to install it." I have installed the parallel port drivers and the updated driver for the Okipage 6W printer. The device manager shows a parallel port. The printer now prints one line of a document and the rest is blank. The printer worked 2 weeks before I fried my previous computer. I now run XP Home Media Center on my desktop.

4. JohnWill

Well, since the parallel port driver claims not to be installed, I think I'd work on that problem first. Does Device Manager show an error-free parallel port?

I'd uninstall all the parallel ports shown in Device Manager, uninstall the parallel port drivers from Add/Remove Programs if they appear, reboot, and install the drivers again.

Does the installation expect you to install the drivers before you install the board or after?

5. retired96

retired96 Thread Starter

Device manager shows an error free port. I spent two hours with a Dell tech who worked on my computer remotely. He tried everything and came to the conclusion that the parallel card does not support my printer. He said that the printer drivers are installed "half way," The printer prints 1/2 of the top line of each page of any document I try to print. The device manager shows the Parellel Port LPT 1 installed. The device manager does not show the existence of a printer. Yet the printer prints the top line of each document.

The tech did not uninstall the PCI cards drivers but, he did reinstall them over the original one that I installed. He went through the ADD Hardware Wizard many times, in many different ways.

What to do?

6. JohnWill

You could try what I suggested.

7. retired96

retired96 Thread Starter

The parallel card instructions say to install the drivers AFTER the card is plugged in. Does that change anything if you install the software BEFORE the card is plugged in?

8. JohnWill

I'd follow the instructions. Some devices want to have the drivers loaded first, I just wanted to make sure of what you had. Did you check to see if there are any updated drivers on the manufacturer's website?

9. retired96

retired96 Thread Starter

I downloaded the updated drivers for the printer. I did not look for updated drivers for the card. I will do that but, the card does support XP.

10. retired96

retired96 Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help but, it didn't work. I uninstalled the PCI cards drivers. I searched for updated drivers on the website. I'm not sure that there was a later one but, I can call tomorrow and see. I reinstalled the drivers of the PCI and rebooted. I reinstalled the updated drivers for the printer. I rebooted and got the same "The parallel port driver has not been installed. Run the Printer Driver setup.exe on the setup disk to install it."

Thanks again for your help. It looks like my Okipage 6W is to become a door stop.

11. JohnWill

I think I'd try a different parallel port card. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice