1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pci? pci2.1? agp??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chungaroo, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chungaroo

chungaroo Thread Starter

i want to get a new video card and maybe a usb2.0/ieee1394 cards but how do i know if i have pci, pci 2.1, or agp? on my motherboard i see a couple of white slots, some longer black ones, and a brown one thats set back a little. i have an intel celeron at 333mhz and my computer was custom built by a friend about 4 years ago.

2. harrack52

harrack52

The longer black slots or ISA slots, the white ones are pci and the brown one is agp so you can use either a pci or agp card. To know the exact specs of your mother board you should check the manual.

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

You should have no problem using a PCI USB port card, provided your system supports USB....older win95 does not.
    If you have never used the USB devices, if your system has ports, they may be turned off in the BIOS.
    If you do have USB port or two now, do they work?
    If you do not have ports....there MAY be an USB header with connections to install a bracket with a couple ports, has a wire that you connect onto the header for USB. The port card is different- it would be like a modem, goes into a white PCI slot. They come with a CD for the drivers. Mine was about $24
    If no USB ports now- you can look and see if there is a header labelled for USB. Usually about 8 pin, about an inch long, kinda hard to see. Your motherboard manual can also tell you.

4. chungaroo

chungaroo Thread Starter

my friend showed my his agp graphics card and it had three connectors, like this: TTT, going into the slot, but when i took out my graphics card i have now from the brown slot, it only has two connectors, TT. is it still agp?

5. Byteman

If it is in an AGP slot, it's an AGP graphics or video card. The slot is built so that only this type can be used. The AGP slot is shorter than the PCI slots--- should be no confusion if you have this slot on your system.
    There are many brands, speeds, memory capacity and qualities available. You should try and learn some of the most common, just use a good search engine like Google.com, search for AGP video cards, will produce a ton or two of good info. The time you spend learning will be rewarding....
    Perhaps you also need to learn about your motherboard, what it can handle, features, most of the info is contained in the motherboard manual. If not, all have online support sites that also have forums....for problems like what happens when you try to install windows XP.

6. chungaroo

chungaroo Thread Starter

what if i dont have the manual to the motherboard..is there any way to identify it?

7. Byteman

There sure is....your friend may have some records...but dont just trust "memory" (who can?) Look inside all over the motherboard....do this of course while powered off and unplugged....look for any printing on the motherboard surface itself, usually in bigger print than other stuff....its not the long part number, but the brand name and model number we need. Like, GA-XXXX or PM-755 or M599-LMR or K7AV along those lines....look carefully, between slots is one place they stick models...along edges, too. There may be paper labels, just write down all you find similar to a model number. Note the other chips on the board, too.....Intel, AMD, VIA, SiS, are some common ones. Post what you find....
    There is another thing that works often....download the BelArc advisor.....a program we often have people use to ID some hardware....often shows motherboard model, and the rest of hardware inside, and the software.....very handy to have. Free download area: www.belarc.com Just download to desktop, run it from there.....

8. chungaroo

chungaroo Thread Starter

9. Byteman

I have looked at specs of your board, you should have open PCI slot to put in a USB 2.0 port card, which can give you up to 4 more device ports. The 2.0 is the new faster type of USB, older devices work with it (backward compatibility) but, at their old speed. Newer devices, like external CD drives, etc might be USB 2.0, so I would get that kind. You have 2 ports now, do they work? You didnt answer about anything like what Windows you have...you should have at least Win98 and the Second Edition is better...or above, to use USB. It appears that your system can easily support USB, provided the OS is 98 or later.
    Don;t know if you caught it, but the manual is available for view or download, from the link on that page, "Product Documentation".

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice