1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI Simple Communications Controller driver problem installing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Leinan, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Leinan

Leinan Thread Starter

After Installing Windows XP, the Found New Hardware Wizard appears and it states that it has found a new PCI Simple Communications Controller I put the installation CD inside the Cdrom and automatically the wizard detects the drivers and it even show the modem name "Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem" but unfortunately after a few seconds a window appears stating that

[CANNOT START THIS HARDWARE]

"There was a problem installing this hardware:
    Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Then there's a pop-up message says that there is a problem installing the hardware drivers. Why is that? I totally freak out. I thought that by downloading the WinXp driver from Motorola's Website there will be no problem installing the modem driver.

I also look at the Device Manager click on the modem properties and under [Resources] tab it says.

Resource settings:
    This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem.
    :confused:

and under the [Driver] tab, Driver Details the drivers are present.
    d:\Windows\Motorola\SMSERIAL\brazil.chm
    d:\Windows\Motorola\SMSERIAL\chinese.chm
    d:\Windows\Motorola\SMSERIAL\domestic.chm
    d:\Windows\Motorola\SMSERIAL\french.chm
    d:\Windows\Motorola\SMSERIAL\german.chm
    d:\Windows\Motorola\SMSERIAL\italian.chm
    d:\Windows\Motorola\SMSERIAL\japanese.chm
    d:\Windows\Motorola\SMSERIAL\readme.doc
    d:\Windows\Motorola\SMSERIAL\sm56.reg
    d:\Windows\Motorola\SMSERIAL\sm56unst.exe
    d:\Windows\Motorola\SMSERIAL\readme.doc
    d:\Windows\Motorola\SMSERIAL\spanish.chm
    d:\Windows\sm56hlpr.exe
    d:\Windows\System32\drivers\Modem.sys
    d:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\smserial.sys
    d:\Windows\System32\sm56co.dll

and the provider, file version, copyright is unknown to all *.chm; sm56.reg; readme.doc
    but the rest it has the motorola as the provider, file version: 6.08.01, copyright: Copyright 2002, Motorola Inc., digital signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatiblity.

and also the Device Status it says: This device cannot start. (Code 10) What is Code 10 anyway??

And I'm a little bit confused why WinXp detected my modem as "PCI Simple Communications Controller" rather than "PCI Device" or "PCI Communications Device"? :confused:

I hope that these information will help you to determine my problem and hoping you can help me for me to able to use my SM56 Speakerphone modem in WinXP.

BTW I don't even encounter problem using my modem when I'm using WinME. :) I'm using Multi-Booting WinME-WinXP.

Many thanks in advance..

2. 1069

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  4. Leinan

Leinan Thread Starter

I did download the driver from Motorola's website that's what I'm trying to install but still the problem is this "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" I uninstall the driver, unplugged the modem then restart, shutdown then plugged in but WinXP automatically install the driver I already unistalled. I think WinXP backup my uninstalled driver for my modem. I did what the instructions for uninstalling the modem from the readme.doc file. And how can I install a different driver or update driver for my modem if WinXp had a backup of my previous driver. I tried Update Driver from the device manager but my WinXP states that I already have the best driver for my modem. How can that be if my modem is not using any resources atleast that what it says when I looked in the Resources tab of the modem properties.

Hoping you still have an answer to this. Coz' it's really frustrating. :(

Thanks.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to extract the ZIP driver file into a folder on your your hard drive. Then go to that folder and run the SM56UNST.EXE file, this should uninstall any previous Motorola drivers. Then reboot and you should get the new hardware wizard come up and ask for drivers. Use the Browse function to point it to the folder containing the drivers.

If that doesn't work try the following:
    Go to Device Manager, and then to the modem. Choose to Update the driver, then select "Install from a list...", then select "Don't Search. I will choose...", and then uncheck "Show Compatible Hardware" and click on "Have Disk". Now Browse to the folder and select the driver and continue the installation.

6. Leinan

Leinan Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the help guys.. I've finally got the answer to my problem. Buy a new modem (lol) :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!