1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI simple communications controller

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HORN60056, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HORN60056

HORN60056 Thread Starter

Greetings;

I just got big time help on one problem, so thought I would attack another problem (which may be related). I'll keep the explanation simple in the hopes that someone will recognize what needs to be done.

On startup I always get a note about hardware found, but not related software (this has happened since ME to XP several years ago. Other notes indicate ( I think) that the problems is driver for the "PCI simple communications controller".

When I go thru SYS MGMT \ DEVICE DRIVER \ OTHER DEVICES I find yellow question marks on PARALLEL DEVICES , PCI DEVICE AND PCI SIMPLE COMM CONTROLLER. The paralled device seems to be looking for HPFECB12.SYS (H-P ? - my scanner seems OK).

Where would I go from here ?? Thanks.

2. Sponsor

3. HORN60056

HORN60056 Thread Starter

Nobody wants to take a shot at this ? Is this common or unheard of , etc ?

4. The Hound

The Hound

You have some missing or corrupted drivers--possibly chipset drivers.

What's the make and model of the computer? Brand name?
    If not, what's the make and model of the motherboard?

Those drivers probably won't be hard to track down...

>>EDIT: Also-modem or Network card installed...

5. HORN60056

HORN60056 Thread Starter

Thanks. I believe the problem is as old as the computer (2001, how time flies). I don't use the modem and an ethernet card (Belkin ) was installed later.

The motherboard is a K7VZA (via Tech? although the literature does not give a manufacturer). I inserted the Motherboard disk and device manager did not find what it was looking for.

Where to from here?

6. The Hound

The Hound

HCF or HSF would point to modems--so would a simple communications device.

Try uninstalling the unknown devices in device manager, then reboot and let windows try again.
    Is your Modem listed in Device manager? There may be a part of a driver package missing for it. Older pci voice modems were funny that way...I'll hunt newer chipset drivers.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Is the Modem on the motherboard?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Another thought is if you don't use it why not take it out. I mean it's one screw though you would need to find a blank slat cover to put over where it was.

10. HORN60056

HORN60056 Thread Starter

Based on other suggestions, I subscribed to driveragent.com and have cleaned up a few things.

On startup I have gotten a note that new hardware was found. On driveragent, it says no PCI comm driver installed and I have had no luck installing one. Not sure that I have a modem installed. Where else is PCI used ? Thanks.

11. The Hound

The Hound

Please try RichM's suggestion in post #6 above.

12. HORN60056

HORN60056 Thread Starter

I'm back on this problem - big time. I have installed a new HD and reloaded XP and downloaded the Microsoft updates.

I still have the PCI problem - per properties the problem is
    PCI \ VEN - 1813 \DEV_4000>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I suspect this is MS vendor 1813. Can anyone tell me who this is - maybe I do have the driver in my files. Thanks.

13. srhoades

srhoades

Have you tried updating the driver and tell it to using windows update? 9 times out of 10 it will find a modem driver.

14. vespesian

vespesian

It's because the Intel Management Interface driver (!) wasn't installed properly. This is some IT gadget built into some Intel boards, for managing big fleets of PC's remotely, if I'm understanding the jargon I've read correctly. I don't think it's a big deal - i just disabled the device in Device Manager.

15. lili1126

lili1126

thanks...i didnot know that...those guys are pretty smart...BTW...where is this "device manager"..and how to turn it off...

16. Rich-M

Rich-M

"Run","devmgmt.msc", hit enter

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/620472