1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pci simple communications controller?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 16Rod, Apr 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 16Rod

16Rod Thread Starter

Hi all, when I look in my device manager, I have a question mark by my "other devices". Under that heading, there is a question mark beside "PCI Simple Communications Controller". What is that? How could I fix it?
    My computer now seems to be working ok, so should I even worry about it?

Thanks
    Rod.

2. Sponsor

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

More than likely, it's your modem....but it looks like you're using DSL.......so, I guess if you want to test your modem to see if it works......

4. 16Rod

16Rod Thread Starter

Thanks akacandy, I've had so many probs of late with this thing, I think I'll leave well enough alone!! Thanks again for the info!!

Rod.

5. LindyG

LindyG

I just upgraded from Win98 to Win2000 and have the same problem. I am unable to get my modem to work. Is this the culprit? I am on dial-up connection, not dsl.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Lindy,

Are you getting an error message of any sort? I'm not familiar with 2K, but can you access a control panel type of feature and check your modem status there? Is it communicating? Also, IRQs....anything sharing with the modem?

7. LindyG

LindyG

Getting no error messages. Everything works fine(except the modem) so far. The PCI Communication Controller has the error (what is the PCI Communication Controller?). The modem is listed just fine and dandy in the device manager. When I do a diagnostic check it tells me that it is either not connected or no dial tone. I checked before I did the upgrade to see what type it was and downloaded 3 different drivers that should work with Win2K, and I have tried installing it with all 3, no luck. I even tried a generic driver, still no luck. One thing I do remember was that it was installed on com3 before. After the upgrade I only had com1. I tried adding com3 but had conflict problems, so stopped toying with that one. I pulled the case off and it has no name on it. Before the upgrade it showed up as a PCTel Micromodem. Of course now I have no modem, so am responding from work, so I will check back later today, and then again tomorrow. I didn't know internet withdrawal was going to be so tough! <smile>

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!