1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI Simple Communications Driver Suddenly Missing?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Artemyst, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Artemyst

Artemyst Thread Starter

Hi there!

Hope you can help.. I am having a whole wazoo of issues with my IBM Netvista, this is just one of the latest.

To give you some background on what is going on, the other night I accidentally hit the standby key on my keyboard and the computer refused to turn back on again. Well, it was ON, but nothing would translate to the screen. I could hear it on, but nothing happened and my monitor light continued to flash as if it was not on.

So, after many patient reboots and shutting it off and unplugging it for a while, it DID come back on. Then, as soon as windows would load into the desktop, it would lock up and just let out one long steady beep noise. Back to rebooting all over again.

Eventually, I managed to get it back on, and working.

Cue when i went to plug in my stereo to the computer for sound. I plugged in the cord to the back of the computer - screen goes blank again and monitor light is blinking like it is not on. With a sinking feeling, I turned of the computer to get it working again, fearing that I might not get it back on.

It did come back on, but I get a message on boot that says there is a PCI Resource Conflict in slot 03.

Then, when i got into windows. I got a message from Found New Hardware resource saying that my PCI Simple Communications Controller needed to be installed. Checked in device manager and found that pretty little yellow question mark beside it.

I am also noticing a bit of a strange noise from the computer itself.. I think it MAY be coming from the power supply but I can't confirm that a hundred percent, its not quite a grinding noise but somewhat similar.. it definetly sounds like something is working harder than it should be though.

Any ideas whats going on?

I have to say, I have had more problems with this Netvista since I got it a few years ago than I care to admit. Its not the first time it has acted up, in fact I have been through three boards since getting it in '03. Luckily all covered by my warranty. Unfortunately that is now up.

2. Sponsor

3. seahawk83

seahawk83

4. Artemyst

Artemyst Thread Starter

thanks but that just brings me to the windows update site, which fails on me. So no luck there.

5. seahawk83

seahawk83

every site I try leads to MS update, why are you having prob with update
    do you an error or anything

6. Artemyst

Artemyst Thread Starter

I think it stems from when i had to reinstall windows last time - I used a friends copy as I lost my disks that came with the computer. says it doesnt pass genuine install even though i do have a serial for windows that came with the computer - it was loaded on the comp when i got it originally.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

If XP was loaded on the machine when you bought it, then you had an OEM version that was licensed to the manufacturer and cannot be used on any other machine. A standard version of XP that is not from the manufacturer will not work with the non-OEM product key.

In any case, the driver you are missing is for a modem. Apparently you are not using one, so you may want to try to get to the bottom of the other problems instead.

You probably have some hardware problem. If you have enough memory sticks, try removing thewm one at a time and see if the machine runs better. Or try a memory test. And you may also want to test your drive. Something is definitely not right, and I hope it is not your borad.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
    HD Tune
    CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

8. Artemyst

Artemyst Thread Starter

Thanks for the great info.

Tomorrow I will try those tests, and see what I can find out. I do have two sticks of ram, so I can alternate each and see if that is the problem and check the two drives I have(two HD) to see if either of those are causing the problem.

Do you think it would be worth posting to hardware section for more responses?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

You'll probably be fine right here. If you find any specific hardware problem, take it to Hardware.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/681053