1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI slots not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rushx85, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rushx85

rushx85 Thread Starter

Right now the only thing i have in a pci slot is my sound blaster audigy gamer. I wanted to try putting an internal modem in there because i heard they are faster than my external. I put in the modem and the system never found it in any of the pci slots. My sound card works fine and i tried putting it in the other slots and none of them found it either. Somewhere along the line my PCI slots that weren't being used got messed up and i can't use em now. I've been using the same slot for my sound card since i got my comp so i dunno when they stopped working. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Could you post the speed of the processor you have, and the approximate age of this pc? Sounds like something may be turned off in your system's BIOS....we can check later. Someone else may have to help with that, I will be out for a while. Another problem might be drivers for your motherboard/chipset.
    Newer modems for PCI slots will want to see a processor faster than about 100-133mhz. Externals will run on anything that has a port. Work in DOS. Dont drag down CPu performance...they are supposed to help an older, slower machine...where using a PCI modem would drag it down, since they are not controller based like an external.
    I use an external, works great. There are ISA modems that are still made, too, but they are closer to the price of an external.
    Is the external something other than a serial port modem?
    Post back if you need help getting into BIOS or need help setting things in there....changing the wrong thing there can result in severe problems, so dont do it if you are not experienced. Thanks!
    [tsg=welcome][/tsg]

3. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

I concur with Byteman. It sounds like the PNP (Plug n Play) option is not enabled in the BIOS. Have you tried "ADD NEW HARDWARE" in the Control Panel?

Kilowatt

4. rushx85

rushx85 Thread Starter

processor is athlon xp 2200+, motherboard is a chaintech but i'm not for sure on the chipset or anything. I havne't disabled anything in the bios. I use an external usb modem atm. I'm not for sure if its bios related or if the pci ports are just bad for some reason

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What operating system are you running? In the control panel, system, device manager, do you have any free IRQs for the other slots?

In the bios setup.....is there some kind of option, per chance, to enable individual PCI slots?

Will the modem work in the same slot where you have the sound card now?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice