1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI.sys Missing or Corrupted.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zerpentos, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zerpentos

Zerpentos Thread Starter

Hey guys, it's me, Zerp, the very troubled computer kid.

After my previous epidemic of blue screens, I've been struck by another problem.

One day, uTorrent wasn't downloading anything, so I just decided to turn my computer off for the night.
    Next day, I turn it on, and it says: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    system32\drivers\pci.sys

To fix this, insert the original XP setup CD and press 'r' at the first screen.

INCORRECT! I tried this but the first screen I actually get is the partitioning screen. Where the partitions are supposed to be, it all just says "Disk unknown." etc. If I press enter to continue, it gives me the typical Windows XP blue screen.

In order to further try to fix this problem, I kept my windows CD in and went to the Recovery Console. There, I typed in:

expand <CD-ROM DRIVE:>\i386\system32\drivers\pci.sy_c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers /y

I was presented with an "access denied" message. What? Problem after problem? I did a little research and then typed in:

set AllowAllPaths = true

Wrong again. It told me that the SET command is disabled, and that I can only enable it using MMC or one of three Administrative Tools. I can't do this because I can't get to the login screen in the first place.

Is this a no-win situation? I can't afford to lose everything on my harddrive. There's gigabytes stuff worth of work.

The rest of the post is things that I've already tried and that have failed:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with(out) Networking
    Safe Mode with command prompt
    Burning BartPE with my dad's comp (Doesn't work due to a bad burner, I could try somewhere else).

Any suggestions?

With kind regards,
    Zerpentos

PS: By the way, my comp's on RAID; I've got two mirroring hard drives.

2. rockballad

rockballad

Try to re-setup RAMs, it may help.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

PCI.sys Missing or Corrupted = this is part of the buss for the computer and the driver is either corrupted or the PCI buss is gone south.

The fix for this should be to re-install the driver for the buss = PCI buss. These are either found at the manufacturers web site for the computer or the motherboard manufacturers web site. Once downloaded the driver can be installed and then after reboot the computer should be in good working order. If it does nto work I would start looking for a new motherboard.

4. rockballad

rockballad

He couldn't boot into Windows, how could he install the driver?!?

Some days ago, I unplugged RAM, PCI... card to clean dust. But when I replugged, Windows said that [Windows_Dir]\System32\pci.sys is corrupt or missing. I was using XP SP1 so that I can't boot with XP SP2 (is it so?) - had to try reset RAMs many times to make it work. Therefore, the problem may be due to many different causes.

Cheers,

5. DefConDelta

DefConDelta

Go back to Recovery Console and type in your CD-ROM drive letter.

When you have changed to the CDROM drive, type the following:
    cd\ <enter>
    cd\i386 <enter>
    expand pci.sy_ C:\pci.sys <enter>
    C: <enter>
    cd\ <enter>
    copy pci.sys C:\windows\system32\drivers <enter>
    If it asks to replace, confirm.

6. mnunnzio

mnunnzio Account Closed

My 7 year old Dell Dimension 4100 running Windows XP was off for a few days and even was knocked over a couple days ago.

When I booted up today, I got this error: PCI.sys Missing or Corrupted. By removing 1 stick of memory, my pc booted up, but it took awhile.

I put the stick of memory back in and have not gotten video on my monitor ever since, although I can hear my pc making its normal noises. I've taken that stick out again and reseated just about everything I could find. The monitor is ok because I hooked my laptop up to it with no issue.

I suspect my motherboard has decided its time has come... I am debating on whether I should bother with a new video card just to see what happens.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thank you.

7. mnunnzio

mnunnzio Account Closed

Maybe it was a bad idea to not post this as a new message.

8. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Maybe read this thread again. The fix has been told. If you have issues following the instructions then simply reply back where you got lost.

DefConDelta has the procedure pat. Drive permissions shouldn't be a problem but they will not allow you to override a system permission, even admin isn't that high. Also remember files on CD's are READ ONLY, so you will run into a problem with that attribute.

You know what attributes are? If not let me know :)

9. mnunnzio

mnunnzio Account Closed

Thanks for responding, Jeruvy.

I can no longer get the monitor to initialize to type anything. The monitor is ok because I hooked another pc up to it.

10. cannonguy

cannonguy

OK, I know it's an old thread, and I already searched for other responses. But I still have the blue screen of exclusion, and ASR works if you have a system disk. I have plenty of bootable disks, but no system disk.

So....with a clean formatted and partitioned HD, a bios upgrade and my OS install disk in the CD drive, I STILL get a 7E pci.sys error, and I'm ready to airtest the laptop. OBTW, it's a Dell XPS M140 running a Pentium M with half a gig of DDR2 SDRAM. It's a shade under 2 years old.

Recommendations?

11. rockballad

rockballad

Hi cannonguy,

Yeap. Have you done any change with hardware lately? Replace/add RAM, PCI, Video, sound card...? Or the laptop gets dirty, dust? Try to make it clean, double-check hardware cards... That's the way I solved my problem.

12. cannonguy

cannonguy

Yeah - clearly dusty (I brought it back from the desert in July). Popped off all the access covers, worked it over with compressed air and removed / reinserted the memory. Then I disabled the PCI port and fired it up again. Same error - the machine will POST fine, passes diagnostics, and loads drivers from the XP install disk. Within a second or two after it completes loading files, the blue screen of frustration reminds me I still have a 07e pci.sys error and reminds me what to do as if I haven't seen the screen 100+ times in the last 2 weeks while I've worked through this.

I've updated the bios, have installed a clean HD ready to reload XP on and am convinced this is a hardware problem. Where too from here? New motherboard?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!