1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI to mini pci express Adapter installation help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaMaN182, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaMaN182

DaMaN182 Thread Starter

Windows 7
    Motherboard : Gigbyte p67a-UD-3r-b3

I have a Intel dual band WiFi adapter mini pci express : http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-7260-bluetooth.html

I recently bought a mini pci express to pci-e adapter that had 3 antennas from ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121134056059?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I installed them mini pci-e into the pcie with one problem which i think doesn't matter: the intel mini pci-e does not reach the top screw holes of the adapter but the antenna wires are still connected to it. I then placed the pcie adapter into a pcie slot on the motherboard of my pc.

When turning on the computer my windows 7 recognized 4 drivers and installed them all. From memory i know one was a USB composite driver and the remaining 3 were USB input devices? This confused me immensely. I dont know what to do next to be honest. Obviously its not working properly and furthermore, the USB composite driver is under the 'Universal seriel bus controllers' group in device manager; with the other three under 'Human interface devices'.

Now, i received a cord with the mini pci-e to pci-e which plugs into the side of the adapter (you can see this slot in the photos of the ebay link above but the actual cord is not in the photos). I did not attach this cord as i do not know where it goes on the motherboard. I have attached the photo of the cord- the white end goes into the pci-e adapter so that fine, the black end is where the trouble for me is. Im guessing this may give power to the adapter when plugged in?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. DaMaN182

DaMaN182 Thread Starter

Noone can respond to this......?

3. Johnny2K

Johnny2K

4. DaMaN182

DaMaN182 Thread Starter

Yes i installed the windows 7 x64 driver. Doesnt seem to recognise it at all ... Does that cord mean anything in the photo i attached ?

5. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Yes...
    White end into the adapter and the black end into a usb header on the motherboard.

6. DaMaN182

DaMaN182 Thread Starter

@CoolBurn i plugged that cable into the adapter and onto a slot on the mothered named 'front_USB_2'. Once turning the computer on the found new hardware window came on installing the same drivers as before (composite and 3 recievers/input devices) PLUS and additional driver that was name 'unindentified device'. The unidentified device was not installed correctly and gave an error that it could not b installed and to contact the device manufacturer. Hmm... Thanks for the help so far any ideas???

7. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Open up a device manager and locate the unknown device. Right click on the unknown device and select properties → click on the Details tab → click on the drop down menu under “Property” and select Hardware IDs → post back the information of the first line under Value.
    Examples of the format we are looking for:
    USB\VID_8087&PID_0024&REV_0000
    or
    PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUSBSYS_2C371A3B

Post back with the information once you have it.

8. DaMaN182

DaMaN182 Thread Starter

USB/UNKNOWN is the value there. Didn't put it in the right spot?

9. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Was that the value from Hardware Ids? Even a invalid hardware id would look something like: Invalid Hardware ID: VID_0000&PID_0000

The USB header spot is correct.

10. DaMaN182

DaMaN182 Thread Starter

Yea it is 100%, look at the attachment it has multiple views of the hardware. It should help!

Attached Files:

• PCI.docx
      File size:
      151.4 KB
      Views:
  11. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

The code 43 is basically the device telling windows that it has a fault. Most likely cause is that the Intel card is not securely held in place with the screw and is not making a positive contact. They actually have adapters for this.
    http://www.amazon.com/Height-Expres...d_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=11TS6HHXH3Q980S6XY1Q

The only other thing to check is to insure that you have the latest drivers for the Chipset and USB from Gigabyte's support site.

12. DaMaN182

DaMaN182 Thread Starter

Thank you sincerely, i thought that would be a problem. Im ordering the part today! Just to confirm the mini pcie sits on an angle at first, then once screwing it in; it should sit flat??

Additionally, i bought the same adapter from ebay http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/281485986211?nav=SEARCH

Can you confirm that it is the correct one likethe amazon link ? Thank you sincerely!

13. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Yes to both the questions.

14. DaMaN182

DaMaN182 Thread Starter

Cool, ill keep you posted with the results. Thanks!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice