1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI to PCMCIA Cardbus Adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eyedea40, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eyedea40

eyedea40 Thread Starter

Where i currently live i do not have a way to hook up my computer to DSL. Cable or dial up. I have been reading there is a way to hook up a aircard used for laptops with my home pc with a PCI to PCMCIA Cardbus Adapter. I will be using either Verizon or Sprint as my ISP. will this adapter be compatable with Sprint or verizon ?

This PCI to PCMCIA Cardbus Adapter allows the use of PCMCIA Cardbus cards on desktop computers with an available PCI slot. Featuring a Ricoh RL5C475A chipset, it allows access to Type I, II, or III PCMCIA cards!

Features/Specifications:

* PCI to PCMCIA Cardbus Adapter

* General Features:
    * PCI interface
    * Ricoh RL5C475A chipset
    * Support 16-bit and 32-bit PC card
    * 3.3 V or 5 V Power LED
    * Supports Type I/II/III Cardbus/PCMCIA cards

* Regulatory Approvals:
    * FCC
    * CE

Package Includes:

* PCI to PCMCIA Cardbus adapter
    * Drivers CD (3-inch type)
    * User guide

Additional Information:

* Notes:
    * Model: 466

* Product Requirements:
    * Windows 98SE / ME / 2000 / XP
    * CD-ROM drive for driver installation
    * Available PCI slot
    Thanks !
    -P

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That should allow you to connect a PCMCIA card to the machine.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Those cards use high-speed cellular networks. Have you verified that your home is in the coverage area? I'd be surprised if you could get this type of connection but could not get DSL or cable broadband.

4. JohnWill

I had cellphone coverage here before any broadband was available. I wouldn't find it that surprising. OTOH, the cellphone broadband is bound to be way more expensive than a wired solution (or in my case an optical solution).

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Cell phone coverage and high-speed wireless coverage are very different. Places with great cell coverage still don't have access to broadband wireless coverage. It's still generally only available in large cities or metropolitan areas. This is why I'm questioning how the poster can have such coverage but not be able to get DSL or cable.

6. JohnWill

I realize that, however nowadays if a major cellphone provider is available, usually they have the data service available. Obviously, the only way to be sure is to contact them and ask.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Web browsing by cell phone, yes. But if the poster is talking about wireless broadband, such as EV-DO, it's definitely not available in many areas. Cingular only offers it in select large cities. Sprint's Mobile Broadband is slightly better.

Here's a list of the cities Sprint offers coverage for.
    http://www.sprint.com/business/products/products/evdoEnterZip.jsp

Here's the coverage map for Verizon BroadbandAccess.
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadband/serviceavailabilitypopup.jsp

8. eyedea40

eyedea40 Thread Starter

I already called sprint the broadband wireless is available in my area i am in Staten Isand, Ny. The reason i want the wirless is i travel a lot for work and dont wan't to pay two bills, I love the fact i can swap the card from my laptop and PC.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are the areas you will be traveling to also covered by Sprint?

10. eyedea40

eyedea40 Thread Starter

Yes i work for a large bank but only vist our US locations around major citys Chicago, LA. etc

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Have you checked with Sprint to verify that this card will work with a PCI to PCMCIA adapter? Are you allowed to use the service on more than one computer? (I haven't read any contracts for this, so I'm not sure if this is an issue or not.)

Newegg sells these types of adapters, but I've never used them so I can't comment directly.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Description=pcmcia+pci&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!