Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PCI to USB Host controller not working

3K views 48 replies 4 participants last post by  pauld63 
#1 ·
:( I had three USB devices to connect to two ports. I bought a Stratitec four port USB hub. Somewhere along the trek I must have removed the controller in Device Manager. When I rebooted, the system recognized new device and apparently installed software (drivers, etc.; but the USB ports on the computer are not recognized (I have no USB cables connected to computed now). In Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers, the next line has a !surrounded by yellow. I went to Radio Shack and looked on their computer (not like mine), but Device Mgr. was the same except on the 2nd line there was no dash and it said "interrupt Request 11" and then on the next line "Input/Output Range 2080-209F. I would just like to get the driver for the card (PCI to USB)installed. Any help greatly appreciated.
P.S. This is a Gigabyte Technology motherboard GA-BX2000+ with a Pentium III 550Mhz. Windows 98 2nd edition. The controller is on board.

#3 ·
Originally posted by AcaCandy
Hi pauld63, welcome to TSG.

When you click on the device with the yellow exclamation mark, what shows for the problem?

Have you had any USB devices working in the past?
Yes, my USB ports were working fine. I am sure that no interrupt is selected for the device and that is the problem, but I am very nervous and not very experienced in this field. I too, am going to make a list of my interupts and see what is available. I think I just deleted the driver for the USB ports. Don't ask me why!!!! But I am having the same EXACT problem that the other guy is having who posted his many interrupts.

NTKERN.VXD could not load device driver (code2)

#5 ·
Hi pauld63, welcome to TSG.

When you click on the device with the yellow exclamation mark, what shows for the problem?

Have you had any USB devices working in the past?
0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 Communications Port (COM2)
4 Communications Port (COM1)
5 Diamond Sonic Impact S100 PCI AudioDrive
5 Diamond Sonic Impact S100 Device Manager
5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
10 XPERT 98 (English)
10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
11 Zoom 56K PCI Faxmodem
11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

#8 ·
Here is some Microsoft propaganda on your error message....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q299264

Do you have anything connected to Com 1 or Com 2? If not, it may be best to disable them.

What do the com ports look like? How can I tell if anything is connected?

Also, double check in your bios setup to be sure you've got the USB support ENABLED there.

#10 ·
I am going to reinstall Windows 98 in the morning. How do I install an interupt for the USB controller? I did find out how to remove the interupts for the com ports, but I never did figure out WHAT they are!!!! The USB was not on that screen to add irq to.????

#11 ·
:( I am still having the same identical problem. I just reinstalled Windows 98 2nd edition and everything is the same. I checked in bios to make sure USB was enabled and it was. As for the advise of disabling my com ports 1 & 2, I didn't exactly understand that. I need to know the purpose of those and how to remove the interrupts and how to give the PCI to USB controller an interrupt? The Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller seems to be awfully close to what is shown on irqs 14 & 15 (same number?). I have a doctor's appointment shortly, but will be back around lunch. NO! It isn't my shrink, that's later..........

#13 ·
The interupts are all exactly the same. How can I give an interupt to the controller and give me more info on removing interupt for com 1 & 2 which do not appear to be used, although I have NO idea what they are! My modem is evidently int. 11. Please help..... The doctor did not give me good news at my appointment.............

#14 ·
Ok, Paul, you're going to have to help us here.....

a) you tell us you want to disable com 1 and com 2
b) you tell us you don't even know what they are, which means you don't know if you have anything connected to them

I think we'd better make sure you don't have anything connected to them first.....why don't you take a peek at the rear of the computer and see what else might be attached besides the mouse, keyboard, telephone line to the modem and this usb device we're trying to get to work.

If there's nothing else connected, go into the device manager and find each com port and place a check mark in the box that says to disable in this hardware profile and restart your computer.

For some reason you appear to be set on thinking that the USB is going to get IRQ #11 because you saw this on the computer at Radio Shack....not the case at all......mine is on IRQ #3 and I'm sure if we asked more people to post theirs, you'd have a variety of numbers that show up....so let's forget about the one at Radio Shack.

Did you read the Microsoft article regarding your problem? Before the USB magically reappears, you need to get the correct version of drivers installed.

Sorry to hear your Dr. appt. didn't go well......

#15 ·
:) It was your suggestion about the com ports in a previous message. Are these the serial ports on the back of my computer? My son has my old camera that used a serial port and I would like to keep one. The only thing that I got from Radio Shack was that I did not have an IRQ for the USB ports(controller). I am almost 57 and have forgotten more than most people will ever learn about computers. ;) I spent a couple of weeks or more with problems on an internal modem. Changed the IRQ and wala! I just know that the one at Radio Shack had an interupt and mine doesn't. I do not remember how to give it one to try.

#16 ·
I scanned back thru the thread and apparently missed when you 'quoted' my post with your responses buried into the quote regarding what com ports look like......sorry about that....yes, they are the serial connectors.

Can you find out which com port the camera is using? Then disable the other one.

Your USB device isn't going to get assigned an IRQ until you get the correct version of the drivers installed.....again...have you read the Microsoft information and tried anything there?

And just a thought, for right now, why don't we forget about the HUB, disconnect that and let's get the USB ports recognized first....the HUB could be throwing a conflict of its own.

#17 ·
:) I have had the USB hub disconnected long ago. It may be tomorrow before I try MS thing, but have read it and it makes great sense. I just plugged a serial-camera cable into either port to upload the pics from that camera, but should not do that often. My new cam has a USB card reader. Gotta go check my blood pressure, I think it is already down.

#19 ·
:( After following the directions from the MS support, I have NO CDROM in the safe mode! How can I get the three necessary files from the CD to my hard drive? I don't mind putting everything thatI might need (now and in the future) in C:\Windows\options\cabs. BUT, I looked on the 98 CD and did not see what I needed. I hate seeing safe mode on my computer, but have been there often enough to know drivers loaded are kept to a minimum AND CD rom ain't one of them........

#25 ·
My appology for not seeing page two. I have to go to town for some deliveries, but will be back around lunch or after and will take the comm ports off, etc. After the rain my connect rate is down to 14400. Sorry I did not see page two!

#26 ·
O.K. My first two or three posts on this subject describe my problem completely except maybe for the device: Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller. The error message is: The NTKERN.VXD device loaders for this device could not load the device driver (Code 2). When I look at the drivers in Device Mgr., they show to be exactly the same as those for a working PC at Radio Shack. This is a Gigabyte motherboard model GA-BX2000+. I just removed comm port 1 & 2, renamed the drivers in C:\windows\system32\drivers to filenames.old and rebooted. All devices were recognized by Win 98 and drivers were installed automatically. I looked at the com ports and they were reinstalled and I looked at the Intel USB controller and nothing had changed from original problem. It still has the ! surrounded by yellow. The driver files were back in their place as usual (Just like at Radio Shack) and I still get the same message "NTKERN.VXD device loaders for this device could not load the device driver (Code 2). I certainly am not a computer expert, but I have followed all instructions from this group exactly and have not missed anything. The MS product support page on this problem seemed to be exactly what I needed, but it did not work. Please Help !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.