1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pci vid card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cell, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

i already have a ati radeon 9200se but for some odd reason it only came with one monitor input. i want to add a dual setup and i already have both monitors but only one monitor input limits me. i was wondering if i can add a cheap pci video card to control the other monitor or if i have to get a new agp video card.

both monitors are vga.

windows xp pro
    2.8ghz 800mhz fsb
    1gig pc 3200 ram
    9200se 128mb vid card
    msi pt800 neo motherboard.

*side thought...is there a way to use the onboard graphics and a video card instead of buying the new pci card (if that would work) or no??* :D

2. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

*bump....anyone??

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In most cases you can go any of the three routes, a new AGP card, an additonal PCI card, or your current AGP with the onboard.

For the onboard you need to check if the motherboard allows both to be used at the same time. Go into the BIOS and see what options exist. You may need to change the Primary video card to Onboard to get both to function. Connect the second monitor and fiddle around with it.

4. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

sorry im bios illiterate what kind of options would i look for to do the onboard plus agp?? i wanna try that so i dont have to spend more money. the mobo i have is a msi pt800 neo

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you looked into the motherboard manual?

6. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

lost it when i moved to my apartment. looked on msi's website but couldnt find a pdf version or anything

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

well that route is sorta moot. i was tryin to mess around and see if i could accidentally get it to work and i noticed that my onboard monitor port looks just like the end of the monitor cable (both have pins sticking out!!)...not sure how that happened! lol

9. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

Field Value
    Motherboard Name MSI PT8 Neo-SR (MS-6799)

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You will be looking at the Serial RS232 port, same connector size but different pins (and gender of pins)

As far as I know, that motherboard does not have on-board video?

12. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

yeah triple said the same thing. cant believe i didnt catch that when i bout it last year do you think the pci card would work or just get a new agp vid card?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice