1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCI Video Card Vs Intel Extreme Graphics 2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnQ, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnQ

JohnQ Thread Starter

Hi, I just got a Dell Dimension 3000 computer that has integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 and no AGP slot. I was thinking of buying a 128MB or 256MB Nvidia/ATI PCI video card to improve gaming performance.

My computer's specs are: P4 3.0Ghz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache and 256MB DDR PC3200 RAM.

Do you think I would get any tangible, noticeable improvements in video playback quality and gaming performance? Or will the slowness of PCI just negate any benefits of the better video card?

If there are noticeable benefits to upgrading, which should I choose, the 128MB or the 256MB?

Thanks, I'd appreciate any help you could give me!

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

The speed of the slot the card plugs into only really affects the speed that the textures are uploaded to it, once the data is in the card's memory it's just as fast as an AGP one. That said, you will want to get a card with a lot of onboard memory to reduce the amount of data that needs to be sent over the PCI bus, I'd go for the 256MB one. The Intel graphics are utterly lousy, even a standard PCI GeForce or Radeon card will blow it out of the water.

3. JohnQ

JohnQ Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick response, Arcadion.

I was just wondering, before I spend the money and buy the card, does anyone know what the chances are that the new 256MB PCI card will conflict with the integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 on a Dell Dimension 3000?

What steps can I take to avoid such a conflict?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your system might have a PCI-Express port for a video card, I think it does. If so you would have plenty of high performanc video cards to choose from. I would look into that before buying a PCI video card.

5. JohnQ

JohnQ Thread Starter

Oh, I really do wish that I had a PCI-E slot, but I do not. I've only got three open regular PCI slots and no AGP slot.

6. Arcadion

Arcadion

No, the Dell Dimension 3000 uses an Intel 865 chipset, no PCI Express support. It would support an AGP slot except Dell deliberately left it out.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/365072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice