PCIe Blues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

URSOLE

Hi
I'm planning the layout of my new build and would like to know the answer to this conundrum: If I fit 1X or 4X PCIe cards in the slots allocated for additional discrete graphics cards (lenght of 16X slot) does this reduce the number of lanes available to the primary 16X slot as would happen if I had a number of cads in SLI. I'll be using a Z370 chipset, alleged to have 40 PCIe lanes available.

Hello URSOLE,

The specs for any MB should detail what will happen if you populate any other PCI-E slots on the board, example here

URSOLE

Hi
Thanks for the reply. The Asus manual & web site appear a bit vague or maybe I'm going through a blonde phase. My intention was to put a 1X card in a 16 length slot but I do not want to reduce the number of lanes available to the primary 16 X slot as this can electrically stress said slot. In summary, will any level of population of the 2nd and 3rd slots adversely affect the primary 16X slot on the ROG Strix Z-370F mobo?

crjdriver

Yes. AFAIK, you only have a set number of pci-e lanes. Use it for something else and you lower the number available to slot #1. So if you install a card into slot #2, you decrease the number of lanes for slot #1.

crjdriver

BTW the number of pci-e lanes is a function of what processor you are using. That is why the i9 7xx series of intels support 44 lanes.

URSOLE

BTW the number of pci-e lanes is a function of what processor you are using. That is why the i9 7xx series of intels support 44 lanes.
Hi
I was under the impression that the CPU determined the number of PCIe lanes solely for graphics and the chipset dealt with the rest, is that right?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online