1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCIe cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Afterdark, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Afterdark

Afterdark Thread Starter

I have a PCIe x1 graphics card but my new computer has a much longer PCIe x16 slot. I have found adapters for using a x16 card in a x1 slot but not the other way round. Is it possible to use my x1 card in a x16 slot or will I need to get a new card? Many thanks.

2. Compiler

Compiler

Theres no need for an adapter because you can plug an X1 card into an X16 slot as yours is currently. The Adapter on the market ($40) is kind of useless since it would raise the card out of the case.

Question thou:
    1 - Why do you have an x1 card? They usually cost more than x16 because they are "rare" but important for a niche market... tiny computers. At $100~150 each, a standard X16 card that is $25 is several times faster.

2 - The x1 card will work fine for desktop. As far gaming, it'll be fairly useless.

About the only X1 card I know of is the ATI X1550. An Onboard video on a modern AMD setup would be faster.

PS: oddly somewhat. PCIe boards only have x16 or x1 slots... even thou they CAN have x4 and x8 slots ;)

3. Afterdark

Afterdark Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I had been using Matrox dual output cards for several years for software development work. I don't find there is a need for a very high spec PC for this and when I got a new mini-tower, I didn't give much thought to the graphics card slot (which happened to be PCIe x1) but had in mind that I could do with more than dual monitors.

The card I got was an ATI FireMV 2400 quad output, PCIe x1 to match the slot, but I have just got a new PC, which has the x16 slot I mentioned originally. To be honest, I was just looking for a PC with a PCIe slot and wasn't aware of the x1 / x16 slot differences.

As you mentioned, my card does physically fit into the x16 slot, but when I did so and started the PC, the output was just a load of multi-coloured lines. The manual says to insert the card and then install the drivers but that was for XP whereas my new one is Vista (the ATI web site does show a Vista driver). It may be that I need to install the card differently but I thought I would ask if the x1 card should in principal work in the x16 slot, hence my post.

If you think it should, then I will persevere.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

An X1 card should work in an X16 slot, at X1 speed. However there may be something about the motherboard hardware and.or BIOS design that prevents it.

5. Compiler

Compiler

If its new... take the card back as defective. Quite a few number of people are having problems.

It really doesn't seem to be a poweful video card. If not for games (obviously) and 3D rendering. Consider a much cheap solution as using TWO cards.

A $40~60 ATI with PCIe x16. And another with plain ATI PCI... together would be $100 or so. They have a 4300 series.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/821654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice