1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCIe video card question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by novelwriter56, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novelwriter56

novelwriter56 Thread Starter

My wife has a Presario/HP PC which we added an Nvidia 8600 GT card into a few years back. It has worked fine until a week or so ago. My wife told me when I got home that her PC wasn't working, so I tried to boot it up. There was no signal getting to the monitor. This PC is about 7 years old. This is what I checked. I used a different monitor. Same problem. I plugged the monitor cable into the onboard connection. Still nothing. I wised up and removed the 8600 from the PCIe, then plugged the cable into the onboard slot. We got video display then. Because of the age of the PC, I checked for leakage or bulging capacitors. Nothing visible. I plugged the 8600 into my PC and it worked fine. We bought another video card to try. It didn't work, but the minimum specs for the card were below what her PC has. Here PC has a Sempron processor and it required a higher Athlon.

Here is what the PC does/did. When it first starts up, the fan(s) seem to "roar" for a couple of seconds, but settles down to normal. This is what this PC has done since coming out of the box and I consider it normal. Over the past few months, it has been a bit noisier from time to time. When it was louder, I pulled it out to see where the noise was coming from. I determined it was coming from the power supply, but it did not do it all the time. The PS is CoolerMaster 500w. With the 8600 out, there has been no more noise from it since. When the "no signal" problem was happening (with the 8600 and the new card) the "roar" was constant until I did a hard shut down.

I haven't heard of a PCIe slot going bad per se. I tried to look to see is port was somehow disabled, but without the card installed, it didn't show up.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have a bit more than basic knowledge of PCs, but nothing compared to those of you on here. We plan to replace the tower in a couple of months, but my wife is Jonesing for her Sims games.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Your description of the problem is indicitive of a power supply that is no longer providing sufficient voltage for the application. Over a period of time the output from a power supply diminishes. You most likely need a new power supply for the machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice