1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCIe X1 Slot Vs SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AreYouSerious, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AreYouSerious

AreYouSerious Thread Starter

First Name:
    Travis
    SSD 540mb is the fastest your going to go no matter what you do using your SSD connection . M.2 3000mb read 1500mb write using the PCIe x16 lane. Now the ? if you use a M.2 NGFF PCIe X1 riser card for your M.2 on your PCIe X1 will you get the 3000mb 1500mb or 540 SSD speed. Because in theory your still using the PCIe lanes and not the SSD connection on the board. I really want to know the answer to this because after 35 years of doing pc work i've never tested this out. TIA to all who help

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

The fastest speed requires all 16 lanes of a PCIe x16 slot.

PCIe SSDs are some of the highest performers, but you need to be sure you have the lanes available. Some motherboards have 16x sized slots that are actually only 4x or 8x lanes if the other slot(s) are used. Each motherboard chipset has a maximum number of lanes it supports and they may be shared across different slots including the M.2 if available.

AreYouSerious likes this.
  3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

There is a lot of inaccurate statements in this thread. First, there are two different types of PCIe SSDs. The first type which didn't see much time on the market before being replaced by the second type is a SSD which has an interface to connect into a PCIe bus. The second and the current mainstream product is an NVMe SSD. NVMe isn't just an SSD with a PCIe interface. NVMe provides further enhancements which allow faster throughputs via the PCIe interface.

When you reference an SSD as an M.2, this is an NVMe SSD used in consumer grade equipment. The business class equivalent is U.2. NVMe SSDs can also be mounted on an actual card to connect into a PCIe slot if there is not M.2 or U.2 interface available. There are also adapter cards which allow the use of M.2 or U.2 drives to be connected into a PCIe slot.

For the specs being cited for M.2 or U.2 drives of 3000MB/s read and 1500MB/s write, you're not using a x16 PCIe interface. You're using a x4 per Gen 3.o specs. I personally have 3 different business class NVMe drives from Micron (9100 series) and two from Intel (P3608 and P3700). The 9100 and P3700 use x4 PCIe connectors while the P3608 is the only one I've run across so far which uses a x8 PCIe connector.

As far as using a riser card adapter for an M.2 drive to connect into a PCIe slot, there should be no problems. I have used an adapter card to connect a Micron 9100 NVMe SSD bare drive with a U.2 interface without issue.

SpywareDr likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1203476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice