Pcie x16 graphics card in an x4 slot (Pcie 3.0)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GeorgeSm1th

Hi I am looking to build a thin mini itx motherboard pc with dedicated graphics for gaming and I could only find motherboards with a pcie 3.0 x4 slot. I found an x4 to x16 riser but I don't know if it works as I have not been able to find any examples of such a thing. I want to use a GTX 1050 TI with it. I would like to know if this is possible. I am new to PC hardware and am quite confused. if I can't run a 1050 TI can you please list some alternatives. Thank you

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There is no way you are going to fit a GTX1050
Height 4.38
Length 5.7
Width 2 Slot

In a thin mini itx case
which if you are going to use a thin mini itx board to gain from the
6.7 inch x 6.7 inch ( 17 cm x 17 cm )
http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/324/images/guide.html

you presumably are going to use the thin mini case
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/sil...puter-chassis-black-with-vertical-holder-vesa
and although one example the thin mini cases are all more or less the same

Dedicated graphic cards are IMHO not usually used in thin mini

With respect I suggest you go back to the base planning stage

crjdriver

In addition to the above, you need to understand that mini/micro boards are not designed nor intended for gaming. There is a LOT more to a gaming system than just installing a video card. To achieve a decent level of performance, all of the parts need to work together. Mini boards just do not have the heavy duty VRs [voltage regulators] heavy duty capacitors, extra northbridge cooling, etc that are needed for a gaming system.
Installing a gaming video card in a mini board is somewhat analogous to installing a high performance cam in an econobox car. It will run however it will never run well.

GeorgeSm1th

Hi I am looking to build a thin mini itx motherboard pc with dedicated graphics for gaming and I could only find motherboards with a pcie 3.0 x4 slot. I found an x4 to x16 riser but I don't know if it works as I have not been able to find any examples of such a thing. I want to use a GTX 1050 TI with it. I would like to know if this is possible. I am new to PC hardware and am quite confused. if I can't run a 1050 TI can you please list some alternatives. Thank you
Hey guys, thanks for the help. I have changed my idea and am no longer going with thin mini-itx. i've decided to just go with mini ITX as it is a much larger market and has better power supply options. I have researched more and realised what I wanted to do would render my GPU almost pointless. Question: Has anybody used a cheap pcie x16 flexible riser. I found a cheap one but I don't know if I can trust it? Can you link me to a good flexible x16 riser? Thanks

crjdriver

I do not think you are understanding what I said. Mini boards are not designed for gaming. When you use a part in a manner for which it was not designed nor intended, you almost always do not get good performance. I assume you are using a mini or SFF type case. These just do not have the airflow necessary go cool a real video card.
As I said above, ALL of the parts need to work well together to achieve a reasonable level of performance. You cannot just install a high end video card and expect the system to perform well.
Mini type boards are fine for what they are designed to do; ie run office, watch a movie, web access, home theater, etc. They are not designed for gaming.

GeorgeSm1th

I do not think you are understanding what I said. Mini boards are not designed for gaming. When you use a part in a manner for which it was not designed nor intended, you almost always do not get good performance. I assume you are using a mini or SFF type case. These just do not have the airflow necessary go cool a real video card.
As I said above, ALL of the parts need to work well together to achieve a reasonable level of performance. You cannot just install a high end video card and expect the system to perform well.
Mini type boards are fine for what they are designed to do; ie run office, watch a movie, web access, home theater, etc. They are not designed for gaming.
If this is true then why are there boards that specifically say gaming on them such as the MSI GAMING PRO B150. I am confused because I have seen many people build inside these kind of cases. I am looking to use the logic supply MC500 and then build my own custom GPU enclosure. I have seen people use cases like the S4 mini for gaming and it works fine. I don't understand what you mean?

crjdriver

I mean exactly what I said. Up to you if you want to invest time/money into trying to game with a mini system.
As for this
If this is true then why are there boards that specifically say gaming on them such as the MSI GAMING PRO B150
That board uses a B chipset ie it is intended for business use. You can say many things however whether they are accurate or not is another thing.

GeorgeSm1th

I mean exactly what I said. Up to you if you want to invest time/money into trying to game with a mini system.
As for this
That board uses a B chipset ie it is intended for business use. You can say many things however whether they are accurate or not is another thing.
What about boards that use h110 or h170 even z170. You probably know more than me but I have seen plenty instances of mini itx pc's being perfectly capable at gaming and being easy to make.

crjdriver

The Z series is the only chipset that is really intended for gaming. The basic problem is that small boards do not have the heavy duty pw regulation, heavy duty capacitors, extra northbridge cooling, steel or reinforced video card slots, etc that are necessary and or customary on a gaming system.
Next item. Since you want to use a small board, I assume you intend on using a small case. Small cases do not have the airflow to cool a gaming system.
In short, if you want a gaming system, stick with a mid-tower case and an atx type motherboard from a quality mfg ie asus, gigabyte or asrock. You will be fine.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
BUT the
MSI GAMING PRO B150.
is micro ATX
9.6 × 9.6 in (244 × 244 mm). MAXIMUM size

The actual MSI board is
• 9.6 in. x 8.1 in. (24.3 cm x 20.6 cm)
• mATX Form Factor

not mini itx
Mini-ITX is a 17 × 17 cm (6.7 × 6.7 in)
MAXIMUM size

You will always get a difference of opinion. My colleague crjdriver is very experienced and I would not be so bold as to question his view
HOWEVER the question is IMHO can you game on a microATX system with a microATX case and the answer is most certainly YES
You need to pay special attention to case cooling as of course the less air space the more efficiently cooled air must be moved.
You also need to pay special attention to the close proximity of components I have seen ram chips fried by the closeness of a graphics card

IF HOWEVER the question was - would you build the ideal gaming machine on a micro ATX board with a micro ATX case the answer is NO

and is the B150 chipset designed specifically for gaming NO
Can you game on it - YES

https://ark.intel.com/products/90592/Intel-B150-Chipset

and the review and explanation

https://rog.asus.com/articles/maxim...z170-h170-b150-and-h110-chipset-motherboards/

crjdriver

Can you do what you want? Yes. Will it work well AND will you be satisfied with the result? Most likely NO. Up to you if you want to use parts in a manner for which they were not designed.
As I have said many, many times; there is more to a gaming system than just installing a video card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online