1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCs dont recognize each other, internet connection works

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Frex, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frex

Frex Thread Starter

Okay I kind of have a complicated setup.

I have a wired Linksys router (BEFSR41) and a wireless-G linksys router (WRT54G). I have 3 PCs I'm trying to network, all running Windows XP. PC-1 and my cable modem is connected to the wired router. I have a cable from the wired router to the wireless routers Internet port. PC-2 is connected to the wireless router via a cable. PC-3 is connected wirelessly to the router. The wireless router is setup as gateway (set in firmware config) and DHCP server disabled (tried turning gateway and DHCP options on and off). All three computers can access the internet but only PC-2 and PC-3 can access each other. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

2. telepro21

telepro21

From what you have mentioned regarding your network setup, I gather that the two routers are connected to one another. This has created essentially three different network segments:

1) the wired router and its connected PC
    2) the wire between the routers can be interpreted as a "network"
    3) the two pcs connected to the second router

The reason that the PCs connected to the second router see one another is that they are in the same network segment. The trick is to tell them where to find the other pc. If you try to ping the pc on the first router, I would be surprised if you got a reply. I would suggest setting up a static routes between the two routers to tell each router where to find the other pcs.

The internet works because each router is handling the NAT translation for its connected hosts (pc's). If you elect to have one router hand out all DHCP addresses, this may also help your situation.

3. Frex

Frex Thread Starter

How do you create a static route? I looked in the configuration and found where I could set up a static route but it asked for
    Destination LAN IP: . . .
    Subnet Mask: . . .
    Default Gateway: . . .
    Interface:

Never created a static route before if you could explain what routes I need to create I think I can figure it out.

4. telepro21

telepro21

In the second router, specify the following:
    Destination LAN IP= the address of the pc connected to the other router.
    Subnet Mask: The mask of the PC connected to the other router
    Default Gateway: The ip address of the router to which this pc is connected(ie- The second router's main address)
    Interface: WAN or other specific to steer the router to "look" down the link attached to the other router.

Hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!