1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PCs hang on Applying Security Policy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by etherjuris, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etherjuris

etherjuris Thread Starter

I recently had 2 PCs built.

PC Specs:

MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR nForce2 400FSB S/L/SATA/R
    AthlonXP 2600+ 333FSB 256K processor

PC1 has 512MB PC2700 333MHz X 2 PC 2 has 512MB PC3200 400MHz X 2

PC1 has (1) Seagate 80GB 150/7200/8MB SATA hard drive running on the on-board RAID, PC2 has a pair of Seagate 80GB 150/7200/8MB SATA hard drives mirrored on the on-board RAID

PC1 has Lite-on 52x32x52 CDRW, PC2 has MSI 52x32x52 CD-RW Retail ,

PC1 has EVGA GeForce FX 5600 256MB VGA/DVI/VIVO, PC2 uses the on-board nvidia video processor

Both use the Antec Sonata ATX Piano Black 380W case.

Both use Windows 2000 Pro operating system,

Both run on a peer-to-peer network with an 8-port switch and a 4-port router

Software consists of Norton Systemworks 2003, latest version of McAfee Firewall, MS Office 2000, WordPerfect 9, Act 2000, Quicken 2003, PaperPort 9, OmniPage Pro 12, MS Dictionary, Adobe Reader 6, and various other database and other general use software. Neither has any games.

Data consists mostly of wordprocessing, spreadsheets, small databases, and scanned images.

All Software and Data is identical to the software on my two year old-computer (ASUS motherboard, AMD Athlon chip, 512MB DDR RAM, 64MB video card) on which I recently upgraded the hard drive to an 80GB Maxtor ATA.

The older PC boots reliably every time, no problem.

These two new PCs never boot on the first try and eventually (before I finish installing all the software) refuse to boot at all, hanging up repeatedly on either "Applying Security Policy" or just after in-putting the password. I have reformatted the hard drives and started over on one twice and on the other once. I have never had this happen with any PC I have ever had and I am frustrated and at wit's end.

I suspect the problem is either with the nvidia chipset or the RAID apparatus on the motherboard. Any ideas?

2. Philcarrie

Philcarrie

did it boot up before you put any third party software, just the bare windows??? If so, could well be your raid drivers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice