1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PDA for reading ebooks

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by Girl4God, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Girl4God

Girl4God Thread Starter

Hi everyone, :)

I've been thinking about getting a pda to read ebooks on while on the go (like at work on break, etc), but I don't know which one to get. I'm a total pda n00b so I don't know where to start. I don't need anything fancy, I just want something cheap and dependable that I can toss in my purse without worry. I only use Project Gutenberg's site so it just needs to have the ability to handle plain text files (but html or plucker formats would be nice). No need for PDF or any other ebook format. Can any old pda do this? Can a several year old used ebay palm do this? I My computer is Windows Xp if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions on what pda I should get? Or at least what I should look for or stay away from? I'm so lost :confused:

Thanks

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Either palm or pocket pc PDAs should be able to handle plain text PDA viewing.

I would think the items you will probably want to look at is 1) battery life, 2) Screen viewability (if you don't care about alot of glare outside then you may not worry about this one), 3)Viewable screen size, 4) Overall size (might not want it to take up too much space in yourpurse).

Don't be suprised if when you get this device you find out you want it to do more... I keep finding stuff I wish my PDA will do and this is my 4th one each one being more upgraded than the last.

3. Girl4God

Girl4God Thread Starter

Thank you for responding! :D

Your list is very helpful, but I have another question: how much memory do you think I need minimum? Also, which is in your opinion the better trade off: a monochrome screen with tons of battery life or a color one with only a few hours? Do you (or anyone) know which is easier on the eyes when reading for a long time?

I really appreciate your taking the time to answer! Thanks again!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice