1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PDA/Handheld pc questions.

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by ste2223, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

Hi. I dunno if this is the right place to put this but here goes. I am thinking of getting a PDA/Handheld pc. The only problem is I have no idea about them.

Are they just like normal desktop pc's?
    Can I access the internet on them?
    If so can they play flash games and stuff like that e.g. runescape?
    Do they use the same software/programs as a desktop pc?

Any information on them would be great. Thanks!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

They're not like desktop computers. PocketPC PDAs bear some resemblance to Windows since Microsoft makes both OS's.

You can access the internet if you have a wireless network in your home and the PDA comes with a wireless network card, or you can add one on to some. You could also connect via a wireless hotspot.

I don't know if you can play flash games on them. The screen is pretty small, so you'd have to find a site that formats their games for PDAs. I've not heard of a PDA flash plug-in.

They don't use the same software as desktop computers. They run a different operating system entirely and use software made especially for those OS's.

3. csettle

csettle

Pocket PCs and Palm devices do often have versions of software such as Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. They have calendars, to do lists, and memos. There are many games you can play.

Some handhelds have built-in wireless or can use a wireless card. Some have cell phones built in, which can provide connectivity. As DoubleHelix mentioned, they are small screens, so not all sites are going to look great.

I also read books on my Palm Tungsten T3 - there are lots of them out there. Many of the devices can also store photos, and some can operate as a MP3 player.

Before you make any decisions, do your homework - for Palm OS devices, check out www.palmone.com. For Windows OS devices, check out the various manufacturers (HP, Dell, etc.). Look at processor speed, connectivity, memory, and the myriad of features available before you make a decision.

Have fun!

4. Heatsink

Heatsink

I'm a total converged junky. I've had a wireless PDA for almost two years now (Hiptop and now the Kyo 7135) and *love* it. I can't go back to wondering if I have email or waiting until I get to a computer to flash up MSN or AIM. Wireless PDAs rock.

HOWEVER - they are not computers and don't expect them to be. If you want to use a PDA like you use your home computer then you'll have to wait a few years.

However, if you want basic connectivity and wicked 'schtick' factor then a wireless PDA is the way to go.

:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice