1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PDF Conflict

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cpkish, Aug 8, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. cpkish

cpkish Thread Starter

I have used Foxit Reader for at least 3 years. All of sudden it's changed to Adobe Reader. How can I get Foxit back?

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Which OS are you using?

3. cpkish

cpkish Thread Starter

XP Pro

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Have a look at this page and follow the instructions under the sub-heading How to change file associations by right-clicking on a file in Windows XP. What you need to do is find a PDF that's currently opening incorrectly with Adobe Reader, right-click on it, choose Open with and then Choose program.

Hopefully, it will give you the option to choose Foxit Reader as the default program. Don't forget to check the box for Always use the selected program to open this kind of file.

5. cpkish

cpkish Thread Starter

I can't find "open with". Every app opens fine. When I try to open Foxit I get the following : entry point could be located in the dynamic link library dbghelp.dll.

6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

So, if you open Windows Explorer and right-click on any file, it won't show Open with on the context menu?

Regarding Foxit itself: it sounds as if the application may have been corrupted. I know Foxit is no longer supporting XP (see the System Requirements link here), so it might be worth checking this site to see if you can find a version that works.

7. cpkish

cpkish Thread Starter

I have found in my control panel shows two copies of Adobe Reader in my add/remove for XI (11.0.17). Any thoughts about this?

8. cpkish

cpkish Thread Starter

p.s. All my PDF all of them changed to Adobe Reader.

9. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Okay, we're bouncing all over the place on this one, so we really need to concentrate here. If you want to use Foxit, why not uninstall all instances of Adobe Reader, reboot the PC, and then see if you can get Foxit running again.

10. cpkish

cpkish Thread Starter

thank you Lochl. I thought about this maybe tomorrow. I'll let you know, thanks for all the support Actually I don't think that Abobe reader is not this bad. I believe it has problem with virus and others. However I really don't care. New computer coming soon. My laptop uses Windows 7 Every documents of course are on my external hard drive.

11. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You're welcome, and I'll be glad to assist you with anything else which transpires during this exercise. Adobe doesn't have a problem with viruses per se; it's an actual issue with PDFs being weaponized as an attack vector. You can read more about it here.

12. cpkish

cpkish Thread Starter

Lochl,
    I believe I've/You've fixed the problem. I believe on a certain date recently Foxit was no longer supported or usable for XP. So automatically all my PDFs were changed to Adobe Reader. Seems weird but things happen!
    That's why I can only use Adobe Reader. I deleted both copies of Adobe and Foxit. Foxit alone it didn't work anymore. So I installed Adobe again and everthing now is fine. Adobe is fine and I'll work with it!
    CP

lochlomonder likes this.
  13. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Glad to see you've worked all this out and got it running again, cpkish (y)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice