1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PDF conversion failure and truncated hyperlinks after PDF conversion

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mlmorris, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlmorris

mlmorris Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with a 1.5 GHz Pentium M processor, 2 GB RAM and Windows XP/Pro SP 2, InDesign CS3 (v. 5.0.1), and Word 2002 SP 3.

Problem description:

a) I have tried converting InDesign documents and Word documents with long hyperlinks to PDF. I have documents with some hyperlinks that are very long and require more than one line. The hyperlinks that I create in InDesign or Word that require more than one line look OK after conversion to PDF (using the Export command in InDesign), but, if I hover the mouse over the link in the PDF, all the characters in the URL on the second line are missing, and the link doesn’t work. I first discovered this using Acrobat Professional 7. Yesterday I downloaded a trial version of Acrobat Professional 8 (8.1.0), and I still have the problem.

Yes, I know I can create a hyperlink character style in InDesign with the “no break” feature enabled. However, that can result in appearance and text flow problems.

b) Furthermore, I tried to convert a Word document with a long hyperlink to PDF (using the Word Print command), and the same problem occurs.

To make matters worse, when I try to convert any Word document to PDF using the “Adobe PDF/Convert to Adobe PDF” menu item, I get this message:

“The Acrobat PDFMaker server could not be loaded. Do you want to run the installer in repair mode?”

I tried the repair mode. Then I tried it again from the Add/Remove Programs option in Control Panel. That did not solve either problem. Regarding the PDFMaker problem, after a search of this forum, I found this posting from Wedor, back in 2005:

“To restore the PDFMaker buttons in your Office application, first try the following: In the Office application, choose Help > About application name. Click Disabled Items and then check to see if PDFMakerOfficeAddin is listed. If so, select it and click Enable. Then close all dialog boxes and restart the Office application….”

I checked for disabled items and found two:

Document: pdfmaker.dot
    Addin: pdfmaker.dot

However, there is a message in that window that reads:

“The items listed below were disabled because they prevented Word from functioning correctly.”

That is not very helpful. Can anyone tell me what will happen (or might happen) to Word if I enable those two items?

For what it is worth, at the start of the original Acrobat 8 installation a message was displayed that said something like "...an earlier version of Acrobat was found on this computer. It is 'strongly recommended' that the earlier version be reomved." The window included an option to remove the older version, which I used.

Can anyone help?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!