1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pdf Conversion of Form

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mlmorris, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlmorris

mlmorris Thread Starter

I recently created a form using MS Word (97) using text/checkbox forms. A user can fill out the Word version of the form on-screen.

I converted the Word file to a pdf using PDFCreator v. 0.9.2. The form fields in the PDF file cannot be completed on-screen, despite the fact that, when opened with Adobe Reader v. 7.0.7, under Document/Security/Security Settings, "Filling of form fields is allowed."

I tried searching both the local and on-line help files for PDFCreator to see if there is any mention of this issue--i.e., is this a bug or is the program really not designed to offer this feature? No luck. I tried searching this forum for any info. The closest post I could find suggests that nothing except Acrobat Standard or Pro will provide this feature.

Can anyone confirm or correct the tentative conclusion that this feature (filling out forms in pdf format on-screen) is only available from Acrobat Standard or Pro? Or that this feature is not part of PDFCreator? Or suggest what I might be doing wrong that prevents the pdf form fields from being filled out on-screen?

I even tried searching Adobe Acrobat forums; no luck, but no surprise either, considering PDFCreator is not an Adobe product.

Which brings me to the second question. While searching the Adobe website for an answer to question 1, I found a comparison chart of the various Acrobat products. It is clear that the Adobe products (and many third party products) can convert files from many different applications to pdf format. However, it is my understanding, from a variety of sources (including an old book on Acrobat 5.0) that Acrobat Standard or Pro (in previous versions Distiller), had some capability to create documents from "scratch;" i.e., without using some other application. From reading that old book, that does seem to be the case (although the capability is limited compared to page assembly, graphics, and even word processing applications). The info on the Adobe website does not explicitly address this question.

Is there someone with in-depth knowledge of Acrobat products that can clarify this issue for me?

If it is helpful, I run Win XP/Home SP 2 on an eMachines tower with a Celeron 900 Mhz processor and 250 MB RAM.

Thanks for your help.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Perhaps you should post the Word document and the resultant PDF for folks to see. You can attach them to a message, I'd put them in a ZIP file and attach that to the message.

3. DCM1519

DCM1519

I convert Word to PDF regularly and then have to create the fields to fill in Adobe Acrobat Professional Version 6.

I think it can be done with older versions but it's been a while since I used them so not sure. Newer versions would probably be even better than my old version.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice