1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pdf file can be resized?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by shatrughna, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shatrughna

shatrughna Thread Starter

Heyy
    i have come across a problem of resizing the scanned files which are in pdf format.
    i need to send some scanned documents in .pdf format thru mail and i want to resize them to ease the attaching.
    can anyone pl guide me how to do it?
    is there any application or software available?
    thanks in advance.

2. valis

valis Moderator

you can try winzip, or if you have XP, it's got a built-in zipping function.

3. thing

thing

By resizing do you mean data size or image size?
    The best way to edit a pdf is to use Pitstop. Pdf's are basically Illustrator files if that helps.
    Why someone would supply you scans as pdf's is beyond me (maybe jpeg or tif would have been the better option).
    Without seeing the files myself it's a bit hard to answer your question, but without Pitstop or Adobe CS I don't think you'll be able to edit them.

What valis said is true, however most pdf's are compressed anyway so I doubt you'll save much data. If the files are huge maybe send them via ftp or use yousendit.

4. bobelinho

bobelinho

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Where did the scanned files come from .. And would a different format besides a PDF work to send them ??

Anything
    you can print ... Can be printed in a pdf format using PDFCreator ...
    This may not result in the smallest file size .. But it may be smaller (easier) than scanning to a pdf.

6. thing

thing

bobelinho's link looks interesting. Might be worth a try!

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Since you scanned them, I would resize them using a image resizer and then send them to a PDF file making program.
    Or rescan them using a smaller resolution.

8. hassanrok

hassanrok

Neevia PDFresize/scale is a cost effective application that allows you to instantly resize/scale PDF files. Not only you can resize to any paper size that is defined in Windows but you can define your own page size and scale the content to properly match with the new dimensions. It also comes with a PDF encryption module in case you would like to secure your files while they get resized/scaled.
    Ford Motorhome Parts

9. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    For $99 .. I'd get Adobe Photoshop Elements for less .. which can resize the pdf paper .. And a whole lot more usefull stuff.
    So What's the Ford Motorhome catalog .. Spam ??

10. shatrughna

Actually the documents which i am scanning are a set of different documents and my logic behind saving it as a pdf file is that,i can store one set under a single file name.if i scan it as a jpeg or tiff i again need to incorporate them in a single pdf.
    at present i am using winrar to resize the file but it is not much helpful as it doesnt resize the file by considerable amount.
    that is why i need to resize them.
    so from the replies above i find that i have two options
    1. scan the documents as jpeg or tiff-->resize the images-->print as pdf.
    2. scan as pdf-->resize using adobe cs which i havent tried yet.is there a built-in future for it?
    3. resize pdf using neevia pdf-->tried but didnt help me reduce the size.dont know why.

thanks all for responses.
    pl help resolve above things in red...

11. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

If you install CutePDF a new virtual PDF printer will appear in your list of installed printers. Once this new PDF printer is installed you can use it to re-create the existing PDF. I have scanned documents for my mother on many occasions using her HP All-in-One printer/scanner and the resulting PDF files are always huge. All I have ever had to do is opent these existing PDF's then click FILE >> PRINT and select the newly installed "Cute PDF" printer and let the program create a brand new PDF which is significantly smaller than the original.

Rollin

12. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    It would help to see a typical document ... I’m guessing these are paper docs .. And not files in your computer.
    Paper docs will need to be scanned .. doc files in your computer will not.

Much will depend on the content in the doc .. and the quality (resolution) you need it saved as.
    Now that you’ve mentioned that you have Adobe CS … Many things are possible.
    I’m thinking the scans are too big to attach here .. I’ll PM you my Email address ..
    If you don’t mind ... Email me a typical doc or two.

Otherwise .. I’d open the scan in CS … Clean up the image .. maybe crop it ..
    Maybe convert it to Black n White ..
    Set the image size and dpi to something like 72 ... and tell adobe to save it as a pdf ..
    You’ll have a couple of pdf options when you do this.
    I’d also try saving the CS image as a gif format.

It might be desirable to save these scans as a Gif Image .. Organized in folders.
    PDFSam can be used to combine many separate pdfs into one pdf

13. shatrughna

Heyyy you are right.i forgot to clarify that the documents which are to be scanned are not other than the paper documents which i need to combine in a single file and send them over the mail.
    but due to their large file size and my (unfortunate!!) slower internet connections,i am quite troubled attaching them to my mails.and hence i am in need to reduce its size.
    I have sent a typical file kind of which i need to send daily.
    I have not tried till,reducing the resolution,cropping etc.All these i need to try.
    As you would find from the sample file that i have sent to you,there are multiple pages under one file name.
    So when i start scanning one bunch of documents,i keep on inserting in the scanner and at last when i have to save the complete set,i save it as a pdf.If i save it as jpeg,i need to save it separately and then resize them and then print it thru pdf.
    So this is the whole set of steps i require to follow.
    I also need to try the application suggested by you.
    thanks...

14. shatrughna

heyy i downloaded and installed CutePDF,but surprisingly when i did as you said,i mean,i opened one of my scanned documents and printed it again with CutePDF,its size increased!!i dont know why this happened but can you pl tell me is there any setting required before printing i mean like dpi or quality?
    What has went wrong??!!
    thanks.

15. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    A 7 page pdf file at 546KB isn't bad .. I'm surprised you got it this small working from a scanned image.
    After processing page 1 in CS .. I could only get it down to 78KB ... (78 X 7 = 546)

Straighten the scan .. cropped to just the doc ... converted to gray scale ..
    saved as the smallest PDF file size and without CS editing features.

Try cropping the scan to just the document ... And scanning in Black n White only.
    I don't think you're going to get much smaller.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice