1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.pdf File- Readable with all but Adobe Reader?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by letchworth, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. letchworth

letchworth Thread Starter

I sent a guy a file that I downloaded from a publishing house-- and he said it was blank. I re-sent the file and the same thing happened.

I re-checked the file for a third time and it works great with Foxit Reader & PDF Xchange Viewer-- but I wondered what program he was using; so I tried Adobe Reader. Indeed, the file is not readable with Adobe Reader (version 8)

I will certainly have him download one of the working programs- but wondering what might be up (as I thought the idea of Foxit & PDF Xchange Viewers was compatiblity)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated
    letchworth

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Have you tried looking at the properties of it?

3. trix1210

trix1210

ask the recipient which program he used to open it - was there an error message given - how did he know it was blank? Did he know what he was doing? Can he open any other pdf files on his pc? I wouldnt waste your time trying to discover what caused the problem... The recipient just needs to open the file so get him to reinstall adobe reader and be done with it!!!

4. DaveBurnett

Read the question :) He couldn't open it either in Adobe reader !

5. trix1210

trix1210

whoops sorry!
    ask the publishing house what software they used to create the file...
    Also, send a copy back to the publishing house by email and see if they can open it. Maybe it was partly corrupted when you downloaded it.

6. letchworth

Thanks to all for your responses- I appreciate you taking the time.

Just for a bit more clarity- I can "open" the file with Adobe Reader- but the pages appear blank- I say, "Appear Blank" because what I see is white blank pages-- however, with the other programs I am able to read the pages clearly.

DaveBurnett- not sure how to look at the properties of it. I know that when I create a .pdf I can change some properties- but don't know how to see them from a file I received.

I will call the publisher on Monday to find out what program they used- but was hopeful to transmit the file to the individual for use tomorrow (I was able to drive it to his house- just hoped to save that time). However, I have not run across this problem before- it took me by surprise. I almost never use Adobe Reader- (use Foxit or pdf X-change Reader) but assumed if the other programs could open it, Adobe could.

Any suggestions appreciated
    letchworth

7. DaveBurnett

I use Foxit - to see properties open th file.
    Then go File/Properties.
    Pay attention to the Fonts.
    Also you will be able to see what was used to create it.
    I imagine it would be similar in Adobe Reader.

8. letchworth

Thank you- didn't know it was so easy to tell so much:

Program: QuarkXPress(R) 7.5

Fonts:
    BMKOXJ+HelveticaNeue-Medium Ext

CWEAHQ+Helvetica-Black

HGPWHF+Helvetica-Heavy Ext

HOQVQQ+HelveticaNeue-Bold Ext

I don't really know what it means--- but wondering if the problem is that I don't have those fonts?

Again, appreciate any suggestions
    letchworth

9. DaveBurnett

Possibly - but Foxit managed to substitute them successfully, so Adobe ought to???

10. letchworth

Even better (perhaps)-- I used Foxit to open the file-- Then "printed" it using PDFCreator-- The resulting file could be read in Adobe Reader- although the resulting file was about twice as large- probably because of the rendering engine in PDFCreator.

But- at least it works

The strange thing is that I have never noticed a problem because I use Foxit & pdf X-change Viewers (I'm sure that Adobe Reader has its uses-- but this is not one of them)

I will contact the publisher to see if others have had problems or their take on it. But thanks for your help & being a sounding board

letchworth

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice