1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pdf page numbers don’t match document page numbers

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by johnny123321, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnny123321

johnny123321 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have some reference books I use and in all of them I have this problem:

The number written on the document pages doesn't match the number my pdf reader says, and for every document it has a different offset. That is, for example when I go to page 16, then on the page itself it's written that it's page 5 and not 16.

It's an annoying problem.
    Is there any way to fix this by changing the pdf numbering or is there any workaround?

Thanks

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

It is normal
    One is showing the original page number as if it was a book
    The other is showing the page number per each amount of scroll within the document as viewed on your pc

3. johnny123321

When I want to look up something in a pdf ebook, I go to the table of contents. There I get the page number I need. I then go to that page just to find out I have to scroll some 11 pages down to get to my page.

I'm looking for a way to get this to work better. Any ideas?

4. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

They only match up when everything is just right.
    If you are using the page number the document itself shows in the pane..then you have to use that number.

Here is an example of why they often do not match...lets say if a large pdf file will a couple hundred pages....the index is large and has 2 columns on one page.

Here is what happens your Pc will have to scroll down a page to see that large page,unless the document was created specifically to show both columns on one page

Here is a screen shot of a phone manual having the pc view start at page for for page one.
    The first 3 pages were contact info and disclaimers.

It is very common for them to not match...there really isnt any fixing as it is merely the document itself being responsible as to whether they will match

Attached Files:

5. johnny123321

so is there any way to change that in a document?
    is there any software to renumber a pdf?

6. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

No
    You just have to use the page number that shows in the actual document

7. johnny123321

8. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

9. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

He's right. No freeware reader I know of has that capability. You need Acrobat, which is quite expensive.

10. Hughv

Hughv

You don´t need to do this. It´s just a matter of getting used to this huge deficit in this absolutely ridiculous program. People often use this format because they don´t know any better or they´re too lazy to do it properly.
    I have complained to a few authors, and they really don´t care, even when they understand.

11. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

A bit harsh, don't you think? No pdf creator I've ever seen will automatically match the page numbering of the original document. And practically no documents are created in pdf, but in something else and then converted to pdf. It seems to me it would add minimal value for the time spent to edit a pdf just so the page numbers correspond.

I deal with literally hundreds of very large pdf documents at work, and have never, ever come across one with corresponding page numbers. It would actually be difficult to do since in most of these documents the page numbers restart or the format changes for appendices, indexes, etc., and many pages have no number at all.

It's just not that difficult to note how many pages of front matter there are and add that to the page number of the document you want to go to. If you're a page or two off it's no big deal.

12. Hughv

Hughv

Not remotely harsh. A document created by a PDF program will always have the proper page numbers. It's the lazy, ignorant types who create these problems.
    Think about it;most people don't understand an instruction that says, "Go to page 22" when it really means "Go to the page that used to be 22 before I did this really shoddy conversion to one of the web's worst piece of software that's full of security holes".
    When your customer sees that you can't even number the pages correctly, you're gong to lose customers. There's no excuse for this.

13. letchworth

letchworth

PDF XChange Viewer (the free version) has the ability to create bookmarks- I often use that to solve the problem you are speaking of. I just create bookmarks to take me to pages of interest- and title these bookmarks to let me know the information I am looking for. (This is somewhat like creating a new index- and can be as tedious or simple an index as you choose).

Think about it, the problem you are describing is the same whether in an ebook or a hardcopy; page one is almost never the first actual sheet of paper in a book--- you have the cover, the blank inside protection sheet, title page, copyright and/or edition and printing information- eventually they begin renumbering the pages at page number one. The pdf calls the cover (when included) as page one, blank sheets are all numbered, etc. The idea of creating bookmarks takes you immediately to the beginning of a chapter (or whatever is of importance to you). The process to create such bookmarks takes only a few moments- and works like a charm.

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer
    One caveat I would offer, however, is that I don't find this program quite as good for highlighting and copying as Foxit Reader (Foxit's free version also has more editing and markup features than the free version of PDF Xchange Viewer-- so I use both for their individual strengths).
    letchworth

14. Hughv

Hughv

Let's not miss the point here: The (Gigantic) problem is that the original document often says "Go to page x for more info." That page number is not the same as the number assigned by the pdf program, so the reader is at a loss as to how to proceed. This applies to Tables of Contents as well.
    I have asked some authors to make the necessary changes, and they are not interested. This suggests to me that the paper itself probably isn't worth reading.

15. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Oh, come on. As a retired military person, only my respect for your CIB avatar keeps me from saying what I really think of your reply. The fact is, even the Go to Page feature in MS Word doesn't work unless the pages are numbered a specific way. You just have to learn to adapt, my friend.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!