1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PDF Size

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by lschul, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Is there any way to reduce the size of a pdf document? I scanned an article and its over 6 MB in size and would like to make it smaller without re-scanning.

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Do you have Adobe Acrobat Proffesional installed or just the reader? You should be able to reduce the size within the Acrobat Pro program or you can also open the file in Photoshop and re-save as PDF at a lower quality setting. If you do not have either program installed you can email the file to me and I'll compress it for you. Send to Rollin_Again at hotmail dot com.

If the file is too large to send using regular email use a free service such as www.yousendit.com to upload the file and I'll receive the download link when you send it.

Regards,
    Rollin

3. letchworth

letchworth

I have used a reader such as Foxit (or Adobe) in combination with PDFCreator to lower the resolution (which lowers the document size).

PDFCreator installs as though it was another printer- however, when you go to "print" your document from your reader-- select the new "printer" and, instead of printing to paper, you will have be creating a new pdf file. Along the way there are options (via the menus) to change the resolution.

I have done this many times-- since most of the pdf files I use are for screen viewing-- the savings can be tremendous (I once changed an 8 meg file into a couple hundred Ks).

PDFCreator is a free and open sourced program- it does a great job (& worth keeping around for any time you want to output to pdf).
    letchworth

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    What's the file extension of the Scan ??
    Did you really "Scan" to a pdf document and why ??

5. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

It is a pdf scan and to clarify, I am not wanting to change the viewing size (100%, etc) but the size of the actual file. I am using reader. Is yousend it a good program? Rollin no need to compress, I was able to send it.

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I didn't receive the email. Make sure to put the underscore character _ between each word in my email address. When you sent the file YouSendIt should have provided you will the download link. You can also post the link they provided here.

Regards,
    Rollin

7. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Hey Rollin, I didn't email you anything, I checked out yousendit and for a little as I do this size, I am not going to buy the program. Maybe I should just reduce the resolution when I scan?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice