1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PDF995 Font Problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by HOBOcs, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I'm trying to convert a Word DOcument to a PDF document using PDF995 (Freeware). I've used this for a number of years and has provided me with what I need.

Issue is with a document written ientirely with a font called "Poor Richard". When converted to the PDF doc using pdf995 the resulting fonts are all scrunched up. (Spacing too close together)

If you go to Start / Settings / Printers and select the pdf995 (virtual printer) and enter properties then access the "Font Tab" you can set some features related to fonts.
    1) Send True Type fonts to printer according to the font substitution table
    2) Always use built in printer fonts instead of True type fonts
    3) Always use True Type fonts.

Up till now I ben using option 1 and going in and changing the substition on what ever font would not display right to something simple like "Arial".

But now I'm getting this issue more and more and I want to correct the situation by actually showing what font was used.

Other:
    1) I've played around with the word document and found a setting under Tools / options / Save" which allows you to embed the font with the document... after doing this, I expected the word to pdf conversion WOULD pick up the correct font. Yet when I open the pdf document I son't see the "Poor Richard" font or if I look up the Adobe "Document Properties" / Fonts, I don't see the poor richard font included with the document.
    2) I've also gone in to Word and "Format / Fonts" - character spacing tab and checked "Kerning" for "1" points and above... I'm really not sure what kerning means.

So my issue is how do I get to see the correct font as desired.

Any direction/help appreciated. I've done a google search and have not found much to go on. I've also checked the Software995.com site for info and have not found anything as yet.

2. mike1982

mike1982

I am experiencing a similar problem with the true type font characters not aligning properly. If you have found a solution please let me know.

3. letchworth

letchworth

I am sorry to not be able to speak to what might be happening in PDF995- however, I just tried the exact same font in PDFCreator and it works the way you would hope it to work--- without making any changes to the default setup.

My suggestion is to try PDFCreator and see if it will do what you want it to-- It is also Free.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

Someone is selling a product with a similar name- however, sourceforge is the one you want.
    letchworth

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice