1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PDP Systems Dual Channel PC3200 2x256MB

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by X_Gamer7, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

Retail: $90
    Advertised Timings: 2-3-2-5

The first thing I noticed when I recieved the memory sticks is that the heatspreaders are very nicely colored, and look really nice in a well lit case. The installation was like any other memory module, "align, push, snap".

When I first entered the BIOS, they were set at Dual Channel mode, and 200MHz. But, then I noticed something wrong. The timings were at 2.5-3-3-7. Definately not as advertised 2-3-2-5. So I changed the values manually myself to the correct timings, restarted the computer....beep....beep...beep, signaling that there was something wrong with the memory. So, I tried to lower the MHz a little bit to 190, to my satisfaction, it worked. I kept testing them, and the timings then also worked all the way up to about 197MHz (stable) and 199MHz (not so stable). I was very dissapointed with this, but I had to deal with it.

Now as far as overclocking goes, these are not what you are looking for. Get the pc3700 or pc4000 version if you want to overclock. Right now, the most stable I can get these at are 3-4-4-12 at 212MHz. They just wont go any higher, no matter what the timings are.

Gameplay is excellent, these are very nice chips for that purpose. I was suprised to see that in Sisandra 2004, the memory bandwidth is almost 3100MB/s at 200MHz and 2.5-3-3-7 timings. They really contribute to smooth gameplay.

Overall, I am pleased with these modules. Not bad for $90.

Pros
    -Good looking heatspreaders
    -Games play acceptionally well
    -Very nice product support
    -Extremely cheap to other comparable modules

Cons
    -Not so good overclocking
    -Will not run stable at advertised timings

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice