1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PE WEIRD virus

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by blixa, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blixa

blixa Thread Starter

help, ive been infected with the PE WEIRD virus. it originally had infected 606 file according to the online virus scan at Housecall, but thhey were able to clean most of them. there are still some that i cant seem to clean. i have no idea what else to do. my virus sacn software became incompatible when i upgraded to win2k so i have been relying on occasional online scans. also i just got dsl and havent used a firewall yet (not really sure what they do anyway.) does anyone have any ideas how can fix this, and how i can find out where i got this virus? thanks

2. wacpt

wacpt

Blixa

Can you give us more info regarding the Virus Name. A search of all the major virus databases came up blank.

As for a firewall, try ZoneAlarm. It is a free program that will give you protection against hackers, trojans etc.

http://www.zonelabs.com/]http://www.zonelabs.com/

As for an Anti-virus program, the best you need to purchase.

3. blixa

blixa Thread Starter

hi here is a link to some info on it http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=PE_WEIRD im still unable to get rid of it and is causing more problems then i had originally thought......i cant download anything as i get error messages saying i dont have enough room. all the files on my pc are now unopenable as they have an .RBO extension. i have no idea what to do

4. blixa

blixa Thread Starter

this is creepy, im hearing weird typing sounds on my pc, im unable to really do much of anything but stay online. i was able to dl zonealarm but i cant open it. i cant open anything. i cant access add/remove programs, and i cant dl anything else. very strange.

5. wacpt

wacpt

Thanks Blixa
    Will look into it now and see if I can find a solution for you.

6. wacpt

wacpt

Blixa
    Is your modem lights flashing feverishly. If they are, I suggest you disconnect your internet connect, take the phone line socket out of your modem.

Your machine could now be ubder the control of a hacker.

If possible, use a friends machine to check for a reply on how to fix your problem, if one is found. Or email me with your friends email address and I'll send any solutions direct to them

[email protected]m.au

I will try to get backto you ASAP.

7. blixa

blixa Thread Starter

no, the lights are actually steady

8. wacpt

wacpt

9. blixa

blixa Thread Starter

thanks for that link!! without going into dos mode yet i was able to find the files that are causing this :
    c:\windows\bnlotsdq.exe
    c:\windows\explorer.o
    wininit.ini

do you think i could safely delete those files and then try to scan and repair again? or do you think i should follow those directions to the t? im just hesitant to go into dos and also hesitant to restart the pc.....afraid it might not ever come back. thanks for all your help

10. blixa

blixa Thread Starter

Followed your directions, now cant get started (can only get dos) do you have any ideas? know anywhere to get clean windows 2k start up disc? HELP!!!

11. wacpt

wacpt

I would follow the instructions. They wouldn't post them if they were wrong.

That's what I would do

12. blixa

blixa Thread Starter

do you know anywhere we can get a clean copy of windows 2000 disc? my husband is having me do this from work ashe can't get out of dos mode on our home pc. or do you have any other suggestions? thanks for everything!

13. blixa

blixa Thread Starter

Need to see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions where to get a boot disk. we were infected with pe wierd virus, and are stuck in DOS. no access to windows. thanks for everything! :)

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm not Win2k experienced, but there are some bootdisks available at this site, one of them for Win2k professional. Would that work?

http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html

Also if you deleted Windows Explorer, that could explain your inability to boot. If you can restore that copy you might succeed.

I've seen InoculateIt clean weird a few times, but it was on bootable Win98 systems.

15. blixa

blixa Thread Starter

THANKS! I'll give it a shot! :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice