1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Peak Wireless SOHO Netcam problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by marcos_cu, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcos_cu

marcos_cu Thread Starter

Hi I am running Windows XP SP2 and have a adsl broadband with a Belkin wireless modem/router. I have just bought a Peak Wireless Network Camera (model 3531CLPK330W) which has an inbuilt web server which can feed a video stream to the internet without needing an attached pc. You just configure it with the pc after connection to the router and then let it get on with sending out video irrespective of if the pc is on or not. The stream can be viewed on any web browser with Active X or java.

OK, I can connect it fine to my network, the router assigns it an IP number and I can view video fine on any machine within my network of 4 pc's. At present, for example my main pc has network IP number 192.168.2.2 and the netcam 192.168.2.4. My ISP IP number (Dynamically assigned) at this time is 86.30.20.33.

I have asked various people online to check the camera's IP number but (not suprisingly being a number on my network) they cannot see it. As I say, it works just fine within my network.

The netcam is configurable vis web browser controls and has various options regarding TCP numbers etc that I am reluctant to interfere with until I have a better idea what I am doing.

Can anyone advise me how to configure the netcam so it can be accessed from the internet?

Many thanks

2. coulterp

coulterp

Is your Web IP address (sometimes also called WAN IP, external IP, etc), i.e NOT the 192.168.. IP address a static or a dynamic IP address? You'll have signed up for one or the other with your ISP.

I suspect it is the latter; thus from time to time (the frequency depending on your ISP) it will change, hence the name(!), and your external users will have difficulty accessing your webcam.

Your either obtain a static IP from your ISP, these tend to cost a couple of quid more per month, or you can stick with the dynamic IP address, but you can sign up to a Dynamic DNS service. This will allow you to obtain a name for your site/webcam (e.g. fred.domain.com or whgatever) and the DynDNS serivce will keep your name current with your dynamic IP. You will find that www.dyndns.com, or www.no-ip.com (to name but two, there are many others) offer a basic free service that may meet your needs. You'll need to run a little program on either your router or a PC on your LAN that periodically notifies the DynDNS service when the WAN IP changes: some routers have such software as standard, or your can check your DynDNS providers site as they often provide such software for download.

Your friends need never beinformaed of the WAN IP numbers; you just tell them the memorable name you configured up with the DynDNS provider.

The 192.168... are private LAN addresses and are not routable over the Internet.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice