1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Peculiar USB Performance w/Ext DVD Burner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by winbob, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. winbob

winbob Thread Starter

I've used external USB HD's with my HP ZV5000 Laptop for a long time, and performance seemed(?) reasonable with file transfers, and media playing. Now I have a Sony ext DVD burner attached and 'its' performance is pitiful on this USB.

Burning a DVD from an ISO (w/Nero 6) stored on the native laptop HD to the USB burner takes 30+ minutes! :eek:

The same Burner attached to my son's Desktop PC burns an image in 6 minutes!

I have gotta believe that the USB on the laptop is running as a USB1 somehow, although I do not get any msgs about attaching a high speed device to a low speed USB?

Looking in Device Mgr is telling me nada. I uninstalled all USB devices and rebooted for a reinstall with the same results.

The BIOS offers no USB options at all. Googling brought no joy as well :(

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. t-roy

t-roy

You may have to go to device manager and update the driver on your USB. When I first got my external DVD burner it was slow because my USB was 1.1. I installed a USB card in my desktop, and it worked good. Later on I was messing around and updated the driver and it sped up the onboard USB ports.

3. winbob

winbob Thread Starter

After some more research and experimentation I'm wondering if "RES.EXE" isn't my problem? I stopped the application and then retried a burn. It appeared to be really cranking along...not at the 6 minute rate of my kid's PC, but reasonably fast.

However....the Lappie froze solid at about 25% complete! I had to reboot. :mad: Sooo, after more Googling of RES.EXE, I found a bunch of articles alluding to RES.EXE being a bad boy!!!

Here's some examples using; RES.EXE PROCESS:

http://virusinfo.prevx.com/pxparall.asp?PXC=8b8914362610

http://forum.tweakxp.com/forum/Topic166692-3-1.aspx#bm166756

Anyone know the real story about RES.EXE ???

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I found this:
    OTOH, I don't have that file on my system anywhere. :) What happens if you remove it?

5. winbob

winbob Thread Starter

John, the "what happens if you remove it" part, is in Post #3, the laptop will randomly freeze solid during a burn. ...no joy there!

So it seems like slow burns, or coasters half the time :(

My boy thinks a "fresh install" will heal all problems?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try downloading Nero CD-DVD Speed and running it to see what it clocks in at using that drive. It'll be obvious if it's running at USB 1.1 speeds.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!