1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Peecee loves to lock up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RadioFiasco, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RadioFiasco

RadioFiasco Thread Starter

I am using Windoze 2000 pro and I've never had this problem before but my peecee is wanting to lock up after 20 minutes of use. The mouse will disappear and the computer will not respond to anything even a alt+ctrl+del

Please help since I use this peecee for college. Thanks!:eek:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

See if it's overheating: remove the case, blow out the dust and see if the fan is working.

Try a temp monitor:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Freezes can sometimes be display driver issues as well. You might want to reinstall the drivers.

Also test in Safe Mode with Networking support if you have broadband. And also see if it freezes with the browser closed.

Post a HijackThis scanlog:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

3. RadioFiasco

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 12:53:21 PM, on 2/6/2007
    Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.00 SP4 (5.00.2920.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor\WLService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor\WUSB54Gv2.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor\InfoMyCa.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\WINNT\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\ClamWin\bin\ClamTray.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIBIA.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.1\program\soffice.exe
    C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.1\program\soffice.BIN
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe
    C:\Program Files\Skype\Plugin Manager\SkypePM.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,[email protected],&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WUSB54Gv2] C:\Program Files\Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor\InvokeSvc3.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINNT\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ClamWin] "C:\Program Files\ClamWin\bin\ClamTray.exe" --logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX6000 Series] C:\WINNT\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIBIA.EXE /FU "C:\WINNT\TEMP\E_S2716.tmp" /EF "HKLM"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 2.1.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.1\program\quickstart.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
    O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
    O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINNT\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: WUSB54Gv2SVC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor\WLService.exe" "WUSB54Gv2.exe (file missing)

there you go, the fans weren't the issue it seems.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well, your log has no malware -- I only question the wisdom of having two antivirus programs running.

Personally I just stick with AVG.

When you look at the task manager just before you think this might happen -- is there any task other than System Idle Process taking up a lot of cpu time?

And does the problem ever occur with no browser usage?

5. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

RadioFiasco, How much RAM is installed ?

6. RadioFiasco

Well I've ran Clamwin and AVG simultaneously all last year and I had no problems. Also I usually surf the web with firefox as one of my first processes so I can't say if that's the problem or not. Maybe I'll try to startup and not open firefox but I am not sure if that will help.

I run 1 gig of RAM on this peecee and have been for the last year or two so I am almost positive that is also not the problem. I am confused to the point of all exhaustion....

I have closed Clamwin, Skype and Open Office from idling and hope that helps. Check out this thread in the near future and I will let you know if it helps. *crosses fingers*

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Another thing to try, if you can, is to connect directly to the modem and bypass the wireless router.

8. RadioFiasco

bleh happened again. I cannot try to connect directly since I do not have an ethernet port on this peecee. I cant see how that would be an issue though since I have been wireless with the same adapter and company (Linksys) for the past 3 to 4 years. Good God I am thinking of getting and exorcist to visit my computer :-(

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well you could be getting some signal interference from somewhere; but that is also why I suggest testing with no internet activity at all.

Have you tested the ram?

10. RadioFiasco

How does one test the RAM and why would I have to? Been using the same hardware and configs since I last installed a new hardrive back in 2005

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Why would you have to? Well you just never know. Sometimes it's just a case of needing to reseat them. You might do that with all the hardware while you're at it.

You might also inspect the motherboard for "badcaps":

http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

If you have more than one module, try rotating one out at a time -- it's unlikely both will be bad.

You can also create a software tester and boot with it either by CD (iso version) or floppy disk.

I recommend memtest86, but MS makes one too.

The ISO version must be burned with burning software that recognizes ISO files, it's not just a straight up copy.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Windows Memory Diagnostic
    Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory

12. RadioFiasco

haven't had the chance to check my caps yet but get this: I haven't been connected to the internet all day and I ahven't locked up. Do you think I may have a remote Trojan that my anti virus progs cant find?

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I doubt it's a remote trojan -- but you probably could benefit from a firewall.

Any chance of at least moving this pc closer to router?

And since I guess you are using a USB modem -- make sure it's well connected and you don't have any conflicts with other USB devices with which it might be sharing power.

14. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

15. RadioFiasco

Wow this is funny, been connected for hours now online and skype has been closed the entire time. No locking it yet, maybe that was the problem. that sucks though :-\

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice