1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Peer-Peer wireless connection problem.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by badal_k, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badal_k

badal_k Thread Starter

Hi !
    I have two notebooks having XP home on one and XP Prof on other. I tried to setup a peer-peer wireless connection and it shows me the status as connected in both the notebooks.. But why am i not able to access any of the files from any of the nodes...

Following are the settings FYI
    IP Address 192.168.0.10 having XP Prof and 192.168.0.11 having XP Home.
    SSID : "Adhoc" on both the machines.
    Both are having the same workgroup called "WORKGROUP"
    There are not data encryption
    First i had setup the wireless network on XP proff notebook and then from XP Home i searched for the available network and it listed me the Adhoc network available and i got connected. Now what could be the problem.

When i try to access the workgroup it says (i dont have the exact msg - sorry for that)
    "you may not have the permission to access the workgroup. Please contact your administrator. Currently system can not list the workgroup servers currently" on both the notebooks.

Moreover on the XP home notebook it says the status of wireless connection as "connected, firewalled".. What does it mean

All your help is appreciated...
    thanks in advance
    Regards
    Badal

2. badal_k

badal_k Thread Starter

i dont have any DNS or gateway settings on either of the notebooks..

Thx
    Badal

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since you likely have a lot already set up already:

Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting works fine so there is no need to change that either. Just don't disable it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!