1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Peer-to-Peer home networking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrosehutchinson, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrosehutchinson

mrosehutchinson Thread Starter

Recently, my mother bought her a computer and we have been toying with the idea of networking our two computers together. (I'm on DSL and she's on Dial up). We both are running XP Home, and would like to share the DSL connection. She has an ethernet card and I need to install one.

Question: Does anyone know a site where I could design my home network? or does anyone know a site that could help me with designing a home network?

We would like the capability to use the same printer (I'm guessing printer share, and file sharing, as well as sharing the internet)

I really need your help desperately, and most importantly quickly. Thank you

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have an Ethernet connection to the DSL modem, it's a no-brainer, buy a broadband router! This will solve a lot of problems and offer you firewall protection. You also won't have to leave your computer on for her to access the Internet. The print sharing is no sweat once you get the Internet laying flat.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I second that. Get a router, connect the 2 PC's and the DSL to it.

As for a site, what's wrong with the Networking Forum here? :(

4. mrosehutchinson

What about Home PNA? Have you heard of it.... and do you know how it would be done through a dsl modem

5. ahhoe

ahhoe

i am using a router on my broadband connection too.
    hope your dsl modem is not those USB type.
    If so, try to get a ethernet dsl modem and a router.
    It will make your job easiler.
    I am using linksys braodband router on winxp.
    Always like a plug and play experience. Just remember to change your default password on your router through.

6. mrosehutchinson

My DSL uses both USB and Ethernet (My computer at this time does not have an ethernet card). The only drawback I would have about having a router is that I need to run wire (and we live in an apartment). Wireless is out because it is too expensive.

Has anyone heard of HPNA or HPN (Home Private Network) which runs through your already installed phone lines, to create a network? Does anyone know how it works. I've looked on it on the Internet but have gotten a lot of jumbled up things saying I need to purchase special filters (and DSL with filters are not compatible, but I have yet to receive a step by step process of how to install it. or how it works.

Could someone help me with that.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, forget about HPM, your experience will be very disappointing! I'm not sure why you think wireless is expensive, right now makers are dumping the 802.11b stuff to make room for the latest thing, and rebate deals abound! I bought my D-Link DI-614+ wireless router for $18 total after rebate, hardly a king's ransom. I have several USB wireless adapters in the closet, purchased on rebate deals as well. The most I paid is $10 for one, and $6 for the other one. If you do a little shopping, you can have a wireless router and adapter easily for less than $50 total. Oh, the NIC (Ethernet card) for your machine should cost you less than $10, and there are many rebate deals where they're free after rebate. :) Here's a couple of sites to monitor for good deals.

www.morestuff4less.com
    www.techbargains.com

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice