1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pegasus Mail Problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Jimsbairn, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimsbairn

Jimsbairn Thread Starter

I have not been able to send out any email for about 24 hours. Can receive ok. I keep getting this message:

SMTP Error Message:
    [*] Connection established to 207.172.4.99
    >> 0035 220 smtp05.mrf.mail.rcn.net ESMTP
    << 0021 EHLO mum-s-computer
    >> 0029 250-smtp05.mrf.mail.rcn.net
    >> 0014 250-8BITMIME
    >> 0019 250-SIZE 10485760
    >> 0022 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
    >> 0022 250 AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
    << 0012 AUTH LOGIN
    >> 0018 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
    << 0014 YW5uZWJyb3du
    >> 0018 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
    << 0014 ZnJlZWRvbQ==
    >> 0034 535 #5.7.0 Authentication failed

I have had this problem once or twice before and it rights itself unexpedtedly but how long I have to wait is anyone's guess. I have cable connection via RCN.

Can anyone offer helpful suggestion as to how to fix things? Thanks

Oh, Make it a simple explanation, please

2. BillC

BillC

I too have Pegasus but never experienced this problem. It occurs to me that if this has happened in the past and corrected itself without your intervention, then I might suspect the mail server and not your Pegasus. You might try to ping the sever and call your ISP. Of course I reboot when something doesn't work as standard operating procedure.

3. Jimsbairn

Jimsbairn Thread Starter

I dont think it can be my ISP because if I go to my Yahoo mail I have no problem sending from there. The message also says" Protocol Error: the server has unexpectedly refused or failed a request made by Pegasus Mail".

Is my ISP and the server the same thing? I just called tech support at RCN and they dont support PegaSus and have never even heard of it.

4. BillC

BillC

Being able to use 'web mail' (like Yahoo) is different than using an e-mail client like Pegasus or Outlook. Your mail is sent through your ISP and likely has a URL looking something like mail."YourISP".com. In your case, it might be mail.rnc.com, but I don't know for sure. To find out, open Pegasus go to Tools > Internet Options > Sending (SMTP) and see what your mail server URL is for your ISP. Now try to 'ping' it by going to Start > Run > type in command and in the black window that opens, type Ping "mail server url" where "mail server URL" is what you found earlier and hit 'enter' on your keyboard. Did it go through?

It is not uncommon for mail servers to go down for a few hours or a day. I know that every time something id not work, I assumed it was my machine. Not always the case.

5. Jimsbairn

Jimsbairn Thread Starter

BillC: Thank you for that info. I tried 'pinging' aNd got the message that the smtp.mail.rcn.net was 'unreachable'. Now if I try Outlook Express, mail goes through ok. And isnt this a software program as opposed to web based mail like Yahoo? Or am I wrong on that . Anyhow this is the fourth day of not being able to send out by Pegasus.

6. BillC

BillC

You are correct, Outlook Express and Pegasus are both e-mail clients on your computer and not web based. My next question is whether your Outlook Express mail server is the same as Pegasus...smtp.mail.rcn.net? If it is and you can send mail with OE, then I have to say something is wrong with Pegasus. BTW, I pinged your server, smtp.mail.rcn.net and got timed out on all 4 packets. I was able to ping my mail server..mail.comcast.net.

I'm not as up to snuff on Pegasus as I'd like to be, but it may be that if Pegasus doesn't get a response from your mail server in a second or two it fails to connect while OE could be set to wait longer. At this point I'm just guessing. The fact I could not ping your server makes me suspect of the server!!

Wish I could help more. :eek:

7. Jimsbairn

Jimsbairn Thread Starter

Well, I am just endlessly frustrated by this. Now I keep getting an "authentication failed" message! I dont even recall what password I put in when I first set it up and there doesnt appear to be a place to find it nor is it accepting a new one.
    My next step was to ditch Pegasus aNd download Thunderbird because I use Firefox browser, but that could not connect to the server either.
    So I went back to Pegasus aNd the set-up Wizrd and went through the whole routine agaIn but that has not helped.
    Any other savvy Pegasus users out there who also use RCN as the ISP?
    Unfortunately, RCN only supports OE so they dont seem to have a clue about anything else and Pegasus has no forum that I know of. Desperate!

8. BillC

BillC

I know a guy who is a Pegasus genius and he has helped me before. Here is a like to his site Han's Pegasus Mail Site He's Dutch and very nice.

9. Jimsbairn

Jimsbairn Thread Starter

10 positive Karma points for you today, Bill. Many, many thanks.! Will give him a shot at solving my dilemma.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice