1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pen Drive 16GB not working on laptop but working on other PCs...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drklght, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drklght

Drklght Thread Starter

I got a new Kingston Datatraveler 16GB pendrive. It is working perfectly on both my desktops at home. However on my laptop its failing to write data. It can read and copy data from the pendrive perfectly,however, when I try to write data on it, it writes a certain amount on a very slow speed (500-900kb/s the normal would be 10mb/s) and then completely stops, giving a file not found error (options are Try Again,Skip, Cancel).

Sometimes it manages to transfer at a high speed and suddenly stops at 90% and stops transferring at all and hangs there at 0s remaining. After a while the pendrive completely disappears from the system toghether with the transfer box, and I have to replug it to appear again. The file is now on the pendrive but its corrupted as it onlytransferred 90%...

Does anyone know what's going on? Why is my pendrive acting so weirdly? It works perfectly on other computers except on my laptop as it fails to write?
    Please help

2. Sponsor

3. BG-0

BG-0

Do your other computers have USB 2.0 slots and your laptop only 1.x slots?
    Which OS are all your computer running?

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Have you tried a different USB port? How old are each of your computers?

Regards,
    Rollin

5. Drklght

Drklght Thread Starter

All my computers have USB 2.0 ports. I built both of my desktops myself. One is running on a ASUS P5K Deluxe mobo and the other on a Gigabyte one. Both of them are running on Vista Ultimate and so is my laptop. My laptop is a new TX2510us
    Its specs are
    AMD 2.1ghz Turion X2
    3GB Ram
    250GB
    3USB 2.0 ports (i tried on all of them but still getting the problem)
    ATI 3200HD IGP graphics

I just want to point out that it was working for a month on my laptop. But recently it just starts giving these write errors... I tried reinstalling the OS but its still giving the problem...

Please help

6. Drklght

Drklght Thread Starter

Also I tried other 3 pendrives on my Laptop and they work fine. So it can't be the laptop's problem either?

Please help

7. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Have you tried reformatting the drive?

Regards,
    Rollin

8. Drklght

Drklght Thread Starter

Yes... I've tried reformatting countless times... FAT32, NTFS, exFAT everything but still not working...

9. BG-0

BG-0

There's a USB fix/registry trick that I've read several times on this forum but can't by chance find that by searching...
    Do you have restore points from before the drive worked? Create a new one and restore to see if that helps... Also, after creating the restore point, try using something like WindowsCare whatever can't remember the whole name or CCleaner or both to do registry fixes... maybe before restoring a previous point, it'd be a bit more convenient if only the registry clean would help.

10. Drklght

Drklght Thread Starter

Hey BG-0,
    I don't have a recovery point from when it was working as I reinstalled the OS to try to fix this issue. I would think that a clean install would have proper drivers and no registry issues. Nevertheless I tried CCleaner but theres no registry errors relating to USB ports. Only errors were some Install issues which i deleted. However, these didn't fix the problem, I'm still having the transfer issues.
    Please help

11. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Do you get error if you try to copy through a command window using DOS commands?

Regards,
    Rollin

12. Drklght

Drklght Thread Starter

I'm not very familiar with DOS commands, sorry. Can you explain how to transfer a file through DOS? Thanks

13. Drklght

Drklght Thread Starter

Ok I did some google research andused this command for tranferring a 68.5mb file from the desktop to the pendrive:
    copy C:\Users\Myname\Desktop\avb.exe I:\

It copied the file for a while (around 1 minute and a half) then it reported
    1 file(s) copied.

However a windows pop up also came up showing the following message:
    "cmd.exe - Delayed Write Failed
    Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \avb.exe; the data has been lost. This error may be caused if the device has been removed or the media is write-protected."

Whats going on? The pen drive can't be write protected as it works on other PCs? Please help

14. Drklght

Drklght Thread Starter

May i point out that small files under 2mb transfer with no problems. Bigger files have this write problem

15. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Click on Windows Start button and then select RUN and then type CMD and click OK to open the DOS window. In the command window you can now type the copy command. In the example below the directory called "Source" would be copied to the E drive.

copy C:\Source E:

You may also want to try to see if you get the same error when trying to copy normally after booting the PC into SAFE MODE.

Regards,
    Rollin

16. bigbear

bigbear

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/783950