1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pendrive memory decreased after writing the iso image in it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dexter56, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dexter56

dexter56 Thread Starter

Hello friends i want some help . Today when i was making bootable kali linux USB using win32 image writer it burnt successfully but when i go to my computer i saw fat32 default just below yhe name of pendrive and when double cllick on it it asked to format so i format the pendrive . The pendrive was eight GB . But after formatting the pendrive the size of pendrive becomes 2.89GB . How can i get the eight GB size back . I used this software to write image because the i saw this instruction of making kali lilnux bootable pendrive on kali linux installation guide on kali.com site. Please help me

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I'm presupposing for this solution you're using a Windows machine to carry out the commands. Be aware: by using these commands, you must be extremely careful not to mess up any other disks, e.g. the one containing the Windows OS.
    1. Insert the pendrive in a USB port and give it time to be recognised by the OS.
    2. Open a command prompt, type in diskpart, and then hit the Enter key.
    3. Once the program loads, type in list disk and then hit the Enter key. This will provide a list of disks attached to the PC.
    4. Locate the pendrive by looking for the one showing as 2.89GB and make a note of the disk number. Double-check to ensure this is the right one.
    5. Type in select disk x, where x will be replaced by the number of the disk relating to the pendrive.
    6. Type in clean and then hit the Enter key.
    7. Type in exit to close the diskpart program, and then exit to close the command prompt.
    Check the drive now, and you should have the space restored properly.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1157276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice