pentium 2 upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

touch2much

Quick question, I have a 233 mhz processor and I would like to have a faster one. Could I just buy the fastest P2 I can find and just plop it in? Or is it more complicated than that. Would there be any noticeable difference? Or is a whole new motherboard in order?

Depends on the motherboard, what board do you have? Some boards have the ability to upgrade, others may already be running the max chip. If you are not sure, go here http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32
and download AIDA32 and run the program. It should tell you the motherboard. Once we know that, we can offer further advice.

Let us know

touch2much

It's a NEC technologies Ready 9738 with the Intel Triton chipset, if that helps. I know it's old but I like to open it up and fish around.

Not much hope for an upgrade. Looks like an original pentium1 socket 7 board. I would suggest looking around for a new system. You could maybe salvage a couple of parts but, most are probably outdated or proprietory. You could try an overdrive chip from someone like www.powerleap.com but, money is probably best spent on a new system.

Sorry

Yea, you won't notice much of a performance boost by upgrading that CPU on that motherboard. A 200-300MHz boost isn't that much. It might be better to add more RAM to boost performance. If you have an ATX case, I would rather buy a new motherboard+CPU combo for a good deal and use the other components of your system.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, if that's the chipset I think it is, adding memory will give you a performance dive! Several of those older chipsets had limitations on the amount of cached memory they could support, any memory above that was uncached, and verrrrrrrrry slow! :)

I join the chorus and suggest that a MB/processor upgrade is the way to go.

touch2much

O.K., that's what I thought would be the best bet. I have already replaced every thing else so I might as well replace the MB and have basically a new computer. Now, does anyone know if the current MB's will fit into my case? I don't know what ATX is but as I posted earlier, the whole thing started life as an NEC Ready 9738 with a P2 processor and SIMM sticks for RAM. If I could pull out and drop in a new one that would be great. I'm not even talking about a P4 with 4 gigs, just an upgrade that would be worth my while.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online