1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz heat issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dethred, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dethred

Dethred Thread Starter

Hey guys, my friend is running his P4 3.2ghz "EM64T capable" machine and its idling at 62*C and loading at about 72-74*C A few weeks earlier it was idling at 42*C which seems right for an Intel. I believe its a prescott core so yeah... He hasn't changed any drivers or anything that could be effecting the bios or Speedfan's temp readings. We reinstalled the heatsink/fan and applied a generous amount of arctic silver 5 to try and help it out a bit. Are these temps way too high? I know the practical limit on these things is 60C. There is no rebooting or hard crashes/BSOD's. What could this be?

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

A generous amount of Artic Silver 5 could be the problem.

Only a DAB is needed, the concept of Thermal paste is that it fills in the microscopic holes which limit contact with the HSF, too much paste only makes contact worse, you might make sure you didn't add too much.

3. kronus

kronus

Arctic silver is not meant to be used in liberal quantities. The idea is to use as little as possible. Remove the heatsink and clean off the grease from both the heatsink and heat spreader with isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth. Let both dry for a few minutes. Apply a tiny amount of grease and spread it carefully over the heat spreader. I use a plastic bag pulled tightly over my finger. You should still be able to see the details on the heat spreader. Mount the heatsink. Then, remove the heatsink and check the bottom of it to make sure it's making good contact with the heat spreader. If it looks good, i.e. the grease from the spreader has tranferred to the heat sink then reinstall the heatsink. If it's not such good contact, apply a small amount of grease to correct the contact. Remember, less is more in this situation.

4. kronus

kronus

Also, make sure you clean off any thermal paste/pad applied by the manufacturer.

5. Wino

Wino

Might try checking your mobo for a BIOS update. Had a similar problem with a Gigabyte running' hot w/P43.0HT........tried everything I could think of to reduce temps, reinstalled heatsink/thermal compound several times, more fans, bigger heatsink. Finally went to GB web and found BIOS update that corrected high temp readings for P4's..........dropped readings about 20 deg. I too had no problems with BSOD or shutdowns and machine ran good, but had me worried...............all well since and running in the 32c area at idle and low 40c under heavy loads (was reading in 60c+ at idle until corrected temp readings).

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think correcting the "generous amount" of AS5 is all that's required here.

7. Dethred

Dethred Thread Starter

I've built a few systems, and had to apply thermal grease at least 10 different times to either CPU's or GPU's. We didn't go overboard on it and it had adequate thermal grease before. My main concern is a bios issue, as someone stated before, or a problem with the stock heatsink/fan combo. Its a weird design compared to the standard Socket 478 and AMD 939 setups I'm used to; no real adjustable pressure put on the processor.

Also, a quick browse of the Newegg.com customer reviews yeilded dozens of instances where others were running really hot temps. Common concensus seems to be that the Prescott core just runs very hot.

After reapplying the thermal paste (the "generous" amount of AS5) we prime95 tested it overnight and it passed fine. We even tried running prime95 and another program to max the HT capability of the processor and it never went above 63*C, which is still high in my opinion.

Any more thoughts?

8. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Yes listen to these guys and re-apply the paste like the directions say a thin light coating in tiny clockwise circles, it only needs a haze on the metal and make sure the heatsink is on flush they too can be tricky. I run at 30 degrees idle and I overclock with air cooling. I have the same CPU as you are trying to fit right now and I can attest to following directions on Artic Silver's web site.

9. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

I forgot I rarely get above 50 and that's crushing it. The default on most Prescot mobos is 75 degree shut down.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice